Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 stock question

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    FWIW I have an A5 RE on my SR15E3 w/ BattleComp 1.0 and it's the softest shooting 5.56mm weapons platform I've ever used.

I'd say it's worth it.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I know that this is an old post but I am looking for some advice on the A5 buffers. I am running an A5 receiver extension with standard buffer and a rifle spring on my 12.5" M16. This weapon runs suppressed 98% of the time and on semi auto 95% of the time. The rifle runs perfect and there is a noticeable increase in the rate of fire with the suppressor attached. I can barely make out the individual rounds fired and I can not tell how many rounds are being fired in each burst. The rifle is by no means uncontrollable but should I use a heavier buffer or leave it alone as it is 100% reliable?
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    My 12.5" and 11.5" both run 100% with the H4 buffer and green Springco spring. With the suppressor attached you will notice an increase of the cyclic rate, that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I know that this is an old post but I am looking for some advice on the A5 buffers. I am running an A5 receiver extension with standard buffer and a rifle spring on my 12.5" M16. This weapon runs suppressed 98% of the time and on semi auto 95% of the time. The rifle runs perfect and there is a noticeable increase in the rate of fire with the suppressor attached. I can barely make out the individual rounds fired and I can not tell how many rounds are being fired in each burst. The rifle is by no means uncontrollable but should I use a heavier buffer or leave it alone as it is 100% reliable?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Thanks IG, I will try the different buffers out.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ive run my Noveske Lo-Pro CHF 14.5 middy with the A5 Std buffer and its run great with M855, Mk 262 Clone Loads, and Steel Case Wolf. I have about 1.5K rounds through it with the A5 setup, mostly M855, but about 200 rounds of that was Wolf, just to see how it would go. Cycled well and always locked the bolt back. Really soft shooting as well, its a great setup

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For what it's worth, my A5 buffer weighted in at 5.5 oz.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My BCM 14.5" middy w/ an NiB carrier (and LMT bolt) runs using a std Colt spring and the A5H4 buffer (7oz). I experimented with the Springco Green spring using the H4 buffer and, while it was 100% reliable, I began to experience some muzzle-dip on counter-recoil from the stronger spring. I have returned to the Colt A2 rifle spring, but will be experimenting with the Tubbs Flat wire in the next few weeks just for shits and giggles (okay, and to silence a buddy who keeps bitching at me to "just try it"). I doubt it will be much different than the Springco Green, tho.

*knock on wood*

Using the Colt A2 rifle spring (it feels slightly stronger than the Vltor spring) and the Springco Green, it has not had one single malfunction while running on this setup. This includes Tula 55gr steel case, frangible ammo, Wolf 55gr, PMC 55gr, Federal M193, and Federal T556TNB1 (Mk318 62gr).

My Wife is running a PSA 14.7" middy with a CHF FN barrel (and perm'd A2) and a phosphated carrier with the 4 bearing flats lightly polished with some flitz, a shop rag, and some elbow grease. She runs a Springco Green and an A5H3 (6.3oz) buffer. Same ammo as above and she has only had two malfunctions, attributable to the same PMAG.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 06-20-12 at 02:50.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by benw315 View Post
    Have those of you with the a5 generally had good luck with underpowered ammo such as wolf? Coyote hunting and plinking doesnt require anything much better.
    I tested my LMT 14.5" carbine length with A5H3 and a springco green, with tula it would just barely cycle and would fail the rifle equivalent of the "limp wrist test." I suspect with using a standard A5 buffer it would have cycled fine.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-20-12 at 03:35.

Feedback Score

Stock compatibility

What stocks are compatible with the A5? Will the stock weight also affect the felt recoil, i.e. CTR vs ACS?

Feedback Score
    Any milspec stock will work. Shorter ones like the Imod, CTR, MOE etc. just wont collapse all the way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast