Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob cleaning question- Slip 2000 EWL

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Noob cleaning question- Slip 2000 EWL

So I got myself some of the Slip 2000 EWL to try out with my firearms. I was reading the back of the label to determine how to use it, and ended up with a couple questions-

Towards the end of the directions it says 'Slip 2000 lubricant should be used as the cleaner for next cleaning. For excessively dirty parts use Slip 2000 725 cleaner/degreaser...."

So I can use a lubricant as a solvent to clean my rifle?
    Or is this just one of those things all companies do to get you to use "only" their product?

Will there be any adverse issues if I use another type of cleaner along with the S2000 for lube? Currently using Hoppes as solvent, as it's readily available offline...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Jelly.
    you can use the slip to clean as a solvent but i think you are better off useing the hoppes to clean with and then lube w/ slip. i clean w/hopps. the lube with what ever lube i'm using at the time. i have cleaned gun w/ the clp type lubes in the past and it works ok, i'd rather use a cleaning solvent first.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Get some Mpro-7 as a cleaner and use the EWL as a lube. I ditched the Hoppes about 4 years ago in favor of non toxic cleaners.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I clean with Carbon Cutter, and wash that 'cleaning' out with brake cleaner. Wipe with an oily rag, and then with a clean dry cloth. Use the bottle of oil to lube the BCG.

To me using oil as a cleaner just makes a big oily carbon fouled mess.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Get some Mpro-7 as a cleaner and use the EWL as a lube. I ditched the Hoppes about 4 years ago in favor of non toxic cleaners.
    After previous researching, I would switch to a better product as well. However, as I said earlier, I use the hoppes as it's readily available offline. Over 90% of the products used by people on this site I have never seen in any of the gun shops or sporting goods stores in my area. So I have to rely on internet orders (the only reason I even ended up with the EWL was because I threw it in to round out a mag order). And you know how asinine the shipping is these days. It just cost me $8.50 to ship 2 qd sling swivels- all of what, 2 ounces of metal? It cost me less to ship my mags!

I think a 'police' shop in my area had some Mpro product. But they're about 2 hours away...

I mean, ok- overall in the grand scheme of things, not huge issues- I make that 2 hour drive about once a month anyway. But still just a needless hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    To me using oil as a cleaner just makes a big oily carbon fouled mess.
    That's what I thought.
    Especially after I clean/lubed my rifle yesterday- it's much thicker than my previous oil.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Go with the SLiP 2000 725 cleaner/degreaser next time you have a chance to buy a big bottle of it. It cleans great and is non toxic and no bad smells of other solvents.

Feedback Score
    My .02, use a cleaner to clean and a lube to lube. I stay away from products that claim to do both.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Slip says to clean down to the metal the first time and then apply their lube which will embed the pores of the metal making it difficult for fouling to stick.

next time, use more lube to soften what gunk is there and then wipe down with clean rags which should remove it all and then apply more. their claim is that continuous application will coat the metal making it easier each time.

I think their idea is that light powder fouling is easily removed if it is kept wet and can be simply wiped away and I agree with that from what I have seen. brass in the bore requires a more serious cleaning but they claim that their products will retard build up of even that if you use their regimen. YMMV...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    After previous researching, I would switch to a better product as well. However, as I said earlier, I use the hoppes as it's readily available offline. Over 90% of the products used by people on this site I have never seen in any of the gun shops or sporting goods stores in my area.
    Here is a hint

M-Pro 7 == Hoppes Elite

Technically this is not true as the Hoppes Elite and M-Pro 7 gun cleaner are each slightly tweaked formulas but for you and me it is true. They are both made by Pantheon Chemical and are the same technology.

My local Wal-Mart sells Hoppes Elite in small containers. I have also seen Hoppes Elite (make sure it says ELITE on it) at various other places locally like Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas.

You can at least buy a small bottle or two locally and then order a Gallon online so that you can refill your small bottle...
    Last edited by chadbag; 02-03-11 at 18:01.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    I only use Slip 2000 EWL as a lubricant. I would not use it as a solvent. Get the Slip 2000 cleaner or another bore solvent for cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast