Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the new Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO)?

Feedback Score
    I missed it before but I guess this is actually a new optic also?

It's not an M2 (2MOA and better battery life)

It's not an M3 (less battery life)

I need neither, but it does give me a warm fuzzy that these have the extra waterproofing and are NVD compatible.

I'm surprised they just didn't purge all of their old M2s into some kind of similar deal. Those things can't be selling well in the civi market and the M4 is the new MIL standard, correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IMHO the QRP mount is not ideal, and has some issues.
    Rob, Have you used a QRP2 before? I run an original QRP right now and my only issue is how far the twist knob protrudes. It looks to be much more low profile on the QRP2, and I was wondering if it was much of an improvement.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    This will be outstanding for a low cost/high quality rifle with BCM/Smartgunner upper and MOE hardware (idea stolen from Rob_s).

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Anybody know if the $440 number that's being quoted everywhere is MSRP or street?
    I think that is MSRP.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    Well, it's a comp M2 in a newly designed mount. It seems to be a very good/proven package for a reasonable price. I was hoping to see some revolutionary variable power red dot this year, but no dice. Hopefully they will get around to it soon.
    Incorrect. It is an M3 with less hours and the mount isn't a "new" design (has been out for awhile).

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
    Yeah at 440 MSRP...im very excited for this mount.

I wonder who will get them in stock first?

-J
    We ordered them the DAY that the notification came out so I am assuming that I should see some pretty quick.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    I missed it before but I guess this is actually a new optic also?

It's not an M2 (2MOA and better battery life)

It's not an M3 (less battery life)
    Eh. One could argue it either way as new or not, depending upon how wants to define new. The body certainly isn't new, nor is the capability, so I wouldn't define it as new, but as an engineering change to an established series/model. They tweaked the M2 circutry and put in the 2MOA diode.

New to the market, sure, but the device itself is just a mod to the existing.

This stands be a big thing for Aimpoint, in terms of winning more contracts. From a stock weapon or arms-room-gun standpoint (think LE departments and the like), they can compete w/EOTech more firmly on a $$$ basis in addition to a point-for-point performance basis. The mount is good-not-great, which puts it at parity with the 5-series EOs, at worst. The only other thing anybody could concievably argue good/not-good is a dot vs. circle-dot reticle, and that's a matter of personal preference.

For the same or even lesser cost than practicaly any EO, you get a device that beats the EO in performance categories and hands-down gives EO a swirley on the CS side. A good CBA already establishes this, but most agencies' bean-counters wouldn't know a good one if it bit 'em on the beanbag. They love to look at price, not cost.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Keep in mind guys that these are not meant for those of us who want a Larue or ADM mount for our M2 or M3.

They are marketed towards Police departments. Many Departments dont' have an armorer or at least not one with a lot of extra time. These will come ready to mount and Zero. No screwing around or fiddling. And they are priced under the cost of an Equivalent Eotech. I plan on picking one up for my M&P22. Inexpensive but still quality.

Feedback Score
    Dot size??
    I will definetly want one.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualspringfields View Post
    Dot size??
    I will definetly want one.
    2 MOA
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast