Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about ss barrels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Honest truth about ss barrels?

Hey guys. How long will new ss barrels last with their accuracy, say around 10k rounds with no significant accuracy loss?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Secret; 01-25-11 at 00:10.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It really depends on things like operating temp/enviroment & usage, fire rate, ammo etc.

If you are buying a SS barrel, I doubt you are doing select fire mag dumps with c-mags while suppressed. If you are, I would go with a chrome lined barrel.

I don't think 10k isn't unrealistic from a high quality SS barrel from Noveske or the like. John Noveske says his polygonal rifiling will have a predictable end of service life. Groups will gradually get bigger before tumbling bullets.

Some of the high quality chrome lined barrels are capable of 1.5 moa accuracy with good ammo.

A Noveske with good ammo is capable of sub moa accuracy.

When selecting a barrel, you also need to factor in what kind of ammo you're going to be shooting. Having a sub moa SS barrel and all the tight group gizmos you can find, won't do you a bit of good shooting Wolf.

If you want a high level of accuracy, you're going to pay for it, both in equipment and ammunition.

Feedback Score
    Ah thank you! look like ill be looking at the centurion barrels then!!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It’s interesting to note that Rogers witnessed someone use a Noveske Rifleworks 10.5-inch CQB barrel/KFH combo in three classes over a three month period. Over the three-course training package, the student fired 7,730 rounds of 5.56×45mm ammo comprised of NATO M855 (62-grainer), Black Hills 77-grain MK262 MOD 1, Hornady 75-grain TAP rounds, and commercial 55-grain ball, and ended up firing over 10,000 rounds total without any "discernable" loss in accuracy. That’s pretty good. Rogers also mentioned that a second shooter put over 4,000 rounds through his CQB barrel over a two-week period without any noticeable accuracy degredation.
    http://www.defensereview.com/noveske...ets-the-krink/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    10,000 rounds, maybe more.

Centurion makes good barrels. Some people think they're as good as Noveske.
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-25-11 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    really depends on the caliber you pick. we are assuming you are talking 5.56/.223 in which case you are probably good for 5k-10K rounds depending on how hard you push them, how hot you shoot the barrel etc.

if we're talking a .243 you may get 2K out of it but .243s will erode the throat at 1500 or so.

a SS will give you a longer wear life than normal steel I think but it's highly dependent on the caliber you pick, how fast you push that caliber, how you care for the barrel (keeping it cool or shooting it to very high heat often_) cleaning regimen etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    10,000 rounds, maybe more.

Centurion makes good barrels. Some people think they're as good as Noveske.
    Kreiger Criterion are button rifled barrels, Krieger are cut rifled but yes both seem to be as accurate as the Noveske/PacNor barrels and the stainless is harder, the Criterion are 410 stainless.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    Hey guys. How long will new ss barrels last with their accuracy, say around 10k rounds with no significant accuracy loss?

Thanks guys!
    KevinB's Douglas barrel went 18,000 before groups opened up, and I really can't say about mine because I haven't shot enough through the SS ARs to get even close to that.

However, when you consider that a new stainless barrel costs (BCM $299 for SS410 16-18" or Noveske 16-18" $455-465 or Lothar Walther $325, Douglas up to $350, Krieger $290-450) you are looking at spending $4,500 in ammunition (15,000 rounds at $300 per 1,000 for cheap commercial ammo, double it for match ammo) before incurring the cost of re-barreling your AR and the cost of a premium match barrel would be only about $300-450.

The reality is that a premium stainless steel barrel is actually a low cost item when compared to other running costs.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 02-08-11 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    The reality is that a premium stainless steel barrel is actually a low cost item when compared to other running costs.
    Cameron
    Might be why some of these beautiful guns are only seen and not their groups!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have found that it's exponentially easier to build a beautiful precision AR, than it is to then take that beautiful AR and make it produce on paper.

It takes numerous range trips with different loads, tweeks, and in my case mind sets/mental focus in order to finally hone in my latest build and get it shooting to my expectations. To me that is the fun stuff, and I enjoy the tedious and time consuming work/effort involved in not only building a precision AR, but making it earn the mark on paper once built.

It took 7-8 trips with my recent precision AR to the range in order to produce my best group to date with this particular build. That is like 400-500rds. fired before I could figure it all out....aka..the cost of a new Rock SS barrel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast