Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about ss barrels?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Stainless barrels are must better for uses where you need to have extreme accuracy. (Sub MOA) Basically if you want a competition rifle for three gun or a precision rifle go stainless. If you want a work gun (ie self defense gun) go chrome lined. I also have an issue with what bkb0000 said about people being able to shoot sub moa. Frankly its easy to shoot good groups with an accurate AR from the bench. Beginners have no issue shooting sub moa based on my experience of letting new shooters shoot some of my guns at the range. (from the bench)
    Pat
    This. When I was a kid (10-14), I was shooting 2 moa with a CAR 6724 and m193 all day long. Give me good ammo and a bolt gun and I shot 1/2moa, or good ammo in the 6724, and around 1.

Also, necropost to kick up discussion again as this topic interests me. I pull about 1moa out of my chf chrome lined barrels with ammo they like, and expect them to hold this past 10K rounds, and have friends with the same guns that have achieved it no stress. I want more in the way of accuracy, though. I personally am capable of better precision based on my experience with other guns with more precision oriented barrels, and would like to take advantage of this and "see what I can do".

I'm planning to have a Bartlein 12.5" spun up for suppressed use. Basically as OP says. Precision use plus cracking through a mag or two and a carbine class now and again. I'm curious how long a Kreiger/Bartlein/etc will last under such use before groups with good ammo swell beyond 1.5moa (I consider a barrel unsat when I cannot get sub 1.5 out of it, even for blasting use, and I quickly lose interest in it/move on/sell it/sent it back to its maker.)
    Last edited by WS6; 12-30-19 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, from 2011 to now, how many light years better are SS barrels now than then?
    Im working up a 20" precision build. Going to be using a Criterion 20" SS Hybrid Nitrided barrel. Were they even doing that in 2011?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Wow, from 2011 to now, how many light years better are SS barrels now than then?
    Im working up a 20" precision build. Going to be using a Criterion 20" SS Hybrid Nitrided barrel. Were they even doing that in 2011?
    They have been doing QPQ for the last half century, only recently has it been applied to rifle barrels. I question how it performs, though, having borescoped QPQ'ed and CMV Chrome Lined barrels. Further, why is Kreiger, Bartlien, etc. not doing QPQ, if it is so excellent? If they could make a barrel that would last another season, hi-power shooters would flock to it.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    They have been doing QPQ for the last half century, only recently has it been applied to rifle barrels. I question how it performs, though, having borescoped QPQ'ed and CMV Chrome Lined barrels. Further, why is Kreiger, Bartlien, etc. not doing QPQ, if it is so excellent? If they could make a barrel that would last another season, hi-power shooters would flock to it.
    Isn't there a service where you break in your barrel, send it off for QPQ, and reinstall it to get that extra season? I remember in Euro's thread that he declined to do it because he was so happy with the way it was shooting he didn't want to chance anything.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    After re-reading this entire thread, I wonder how can you measure throat for those who don't get to shoot to 600 consistently? For example: You buy a MK12 copy, it shoots 1 MOA, and you get to prove it's holds yearly at some distant range. You practice all year every year(200 rounds a month) but you miss year 3's long range practice. Now it has ~5000 rds on it approaching year 4's long range time and still shoots 1MOA at 100y. Is there a way to measure throat that tells you that it's probably time to rebarrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    After re-reading this entire thread, I wonder how can you measure throat for those who don't get to shoot to 600 consistently? For example: You buy a MK12 copy, it shoots 1 MOA, and you get to prove it's holds yearly at some distant range. You practice all year every year(200 rounds a month) but you miss year 3's long range practice. Now it has ~5000 rds on it approaching year 4's long range time and still shoots 1MOA at 100y. Is there a way to measure throat that tells you that it's probably time to rebarrel?
    One way is to do a chamber cast and then measure it.

https://youtu.be/j8jE2o7ePbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    No, not really. Each barrel is its own animal. When it starts to throw out fliers at the 600, it's time. no matter what it looks like. Until then, if it shoots, it shoots, no matter what it LOOKS like or measures at, or whatever.

*sentiments above are from people much more experienced than I, and do not reflect my neurotic beliefs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No, not really. Each barrel is its own animal. When it starts to throw out fliers at the 600, it's time. no matter what it looks like. Until then, if it shoots, it shoots, no matter what it LOOKS like or measures at, or whatever.
    Always felt this was the answer, but I add to make sure that's with regular cleaning. A few missed cleaning sessions can induce the same effect. Doesn't have to be bare SS, but fouled to all heck isn't going to best represent barrel capability.

On the topic of brands, I've always liked how Noveske includes everything needed (Block, Tube, Pin and HS Bolt for extra if needed) for a solid install. I'm sure there are better and worse choices, I just had to make one with information available when built my rifle. I'll personally never be able to differentiate one SS barrels performance from another, just don't shoot that much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Id be interested to know what those bores looked like, to seemingly sour you on the QPQ process. As to why those makers you quoted dont QPQ...I do not know.
    But, on the other hand..why do others go to the trouble TO do it? Now, any info or knowledge I may/may not have comes from stuff I read & study on here and several other places. We got a lot of makers doing it now, so isnt the process validated?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

*sentiments above are from people much more experienced than I, and do not reflect my neurotic beliefs.
    This is the best observation in the thread.
    Train 2 Win

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast