Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about ss barrels?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Always felt this was the answer, but I add to make sure that's with regular cleaning. A few missed cleaning sessions can induce the same effect. Doesn't have to be bare SS, but fouled to all heck isn't going to best represent barrel capability.

On the topic of brands, I've always liked how Noveske includes everything needed (Block, Tube, Pin and HS Bolt for extra if needed) for a solid install. I'm sure there are better and worse choices, I just had to make one with information available when built my rifle. I'll personally never be able to differentiate one SS barrels performance from another, just don't shoot that much.
    I know people who literally dont clean a barrel. It delivers plenty of accuracy. (1/3-1/2 moa or so out to 6 hundo)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Id be interested to know what those bores looked like, to seemingly sour you on the QPQ process. As to why those makers you quoted dont QPQ...I do not know.
    But, on the other hand..why do others go to the trouble TO do it? Now, any info or knowledge I may/may not have comes from stuff I read & study on here and several other places. We got a lot of makers doing it now, so isnt the process validated?
    Well, this is the gas port of my girlfriend's rifle. It has about 300ish rounds on it. QPQ. I am just not seeing it as any better than anything else really. You will note that the erosion of the port is nothing special.

As to the downside...it involves some serious heat. That can cause issues of its own, even if the barrel extension is installed post.

Attachment 60182
    Last edited by WS6; 01-02-20 at 05:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    An armorer for the Texas Highpower Rifle Teams (both the juniors and the adults) is now building National Match AR barrels from Shilen stainless blanks, then has them nitrided.

One gentleman hit 10,000 rounds by logged count. He was still nailing the 600-yard stage of the National Match Course but the team wanted an eyeballs-on assessment to judge true barrel wear. They pulled the barrel and measured throat, lande, and gas port deterioration and the consensus was the barrel could probably go maybe another 3,000-5,000 rounds at that wear rate.

The armorer spun up a new replacement and the shooter says it's a good barrel, but not quite as good as the original.

The armorer builds barrels for the gentleman who won the 2016 President's Match at the National Matches in Camp Perry, Ohio.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, this is the gas port of my girlfriend's rifle. It has about 300ish rounds on it. QPQ. I am just not seeing it as any better than anything else really. You will note that the erosion of the port is nothing special.

As to the downside...it involves some serious heat. That can cause issues of its own, even if the barrel extension is installed post.

Attachment 60182
    Thanks for that WS6.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    An armorer for the Texas Highpower Rifle Teams (both the juniors and the adults) is now building National Match AR barrels from Shilen stainless blanks, then has them nitrided.

One gentleman hit 10,000 rounds by logged count. He was still nailing the 600-yard stage of the National Match Course but the team wanted an eyeballs-on assessment to judge true barrel wear. They pulled the barrel and measured throat, lande, and gas port deterioration and the consensus was the barrel could probably go maybe another 3,000-5,000 rounds at that wear rate.

The armorer spun up a new replacement and the shooter says it's a good barrel, but not quite as good as the original.

The armorer builds barrels for the gentleman who won the 2016 President's Match at the National Matches in Camp Perry, Ohio.
    Was that you, by chance?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

10,000 rounds on one barrel with good accuracy is amazing. Not only am I interested in the barrel, but would also like to hear about the shooter's cleaning regimen.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    10,000 rounds on one barrel with good accuracy is amazing. Not only am I interested in the barrel, but would also like to hear about the shooter's cleaning regimen.
    Depends on accuracy. Are we talking 1/2moa, <1moa, 5 shot groups, 30 shot composites, 200m, 600m? 1moa 10 shots at 100 yards isn't very impressive. 1/2moa at 600 for 30...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    After re-reading this entire thread, I wonder how can you measure throat for those who don't get to shoot to 600 consistently?
    Snip
    Is there a way to measure throat that tells you that it's probably time to rebarrel?
    Throat erosion gauges are a thing. Here’s an article explaining why they don’t necessarily work for this purpose, from a company that sells them: https://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaq...%5CTEGauge.htm
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Throat erosion gauges are a thing. Here’s an article explaining why they don’t necessarily work for this purpose, from a company that sells them: https://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaq...%5CTEGauge.htm
    Excellent read, thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Thanks for that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast