Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A new M4 hits the market!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    Just to let all know, MisterJG contacted me and did not wait for me to send him an email. He got this issue squared away for me ASAP and overnighted my carrier. Now that is good customer service IMO.

Thanks for taking care of it MisterJG

That sure is good service, really good. Glad to see he is not banned as it says under his old name, but rather just using a different name now by necessity. Seemed strange so soon after going out of his way...
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin Reaper View Post
    Looks good to me.

Someone remarked at a gun show recently that "there are enough AR-15's being built by enough manufacturers already."
    I disagree.
    The more people building them, the greater the pressure for quality -- if you build a bad one, people will just buy from someone else.
    Plus, this speaks volumes about how popular such rifles are. The more people are buying them, the more gun owners there are, the more people have something invested in gun control laws, the better things look at the next election for all of us. [rant/]

Looks like their site's still under construction.
    I have to disagree, judging from pics I've seen, I think the same people are buying more...me included.

Feedback Score
    Grant, what is the availability of the 'green machine' Mod 2A? and if possible what does that run? im really really interested in picking one up next month once my christmas bills level out thanks in advance.

Pete Seybold
    US Coast Guard Aviation Special Operations Gunner

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pseybold View Post
    Grant, what is the availability of the 'green machine' Mod 2A? and if possible what does that run? im really really interested in picking one up next month once my christmas bills level out thanks in advance.

Pete Seybold
    I have not been ordering colored complete AR's because they are generally hard to sell.

If you want to special order something, give us a call.

C4

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR_Redux View Post
    U.S. Coast Guard... the fifth branch of the U.S. Armed Forces:

On August 4th, the United States Coast Guard Celebrated their 217th Birthday.

Just two years ago, after days of searching, the U.S. Coast Guard rescued 27,243 people from rooftops and flooded neighborhoods, devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Additionally, Coast Guard personnel assisted with the evacuation of an additional 9,462 patients and medical personnel from hospitals and nursing homes.

Although the entire World has watched their helicopters, aircraft, and cutters streak across their television screens that week, many people know very little about this dedicated group of silent heroes.

Created out of Government Streamlining

The United States Coast Guard is this nation's oldest and its premier maritime agency. Detailing the history of the Coast Guard is not easy because it's the amalgamation of five Federal agencies ( the Revenue Cutter Service, the Lighthouse Service, the Steamboat Inspection Service, the Bureau of Navigation, and the Lifesaving Service), all of which were established by the United States Government, at different times.

Because they had overlapping responsibilities, they were often shuffled from one end of the Government to the other, receiving new names as they went along. They were all finally united under the umbrella of the Coast Guard.

On 7 August 1789, the First Congress federalized the existing lighthouses built by the colonies and appropriated funds for lighthouses, beacons, and buoys. Each lighthouse is unique because they generally reflect the latest technology available at the time they were constructed There have been more than 1,000 lighthouses built, and their administration bounced from the Treasury Department to the Commerce Department for almost 150 years before it was finally transferred to the Coast Guard in 1939.

Law Enforcement

The Coast Guard's law enforcement responsibilities have been threefold over the decades:. First, to ensure that tariffs were paid. Second, to protect shipping from pirates and third, to intercept contraband. Today, the payment of import taxes and tariffs don't seem like a big deal, but in 1789, it was the height of controversy. The new government needed money if the nation was going to survive, but the populace had grown accustomed to smuggling goods to the colonies to avoid King George's trade laws.

Congress created a fleet of ten cutters whose responsibilities would be enforcement of the tariff laws.

Seven of the ten cutters were built for the allotted $1,000 each. Two New England cutters exceeded the amount by $500, possibly the first case of "Defense Overrun Spending." During the cutters' first ten years of service, the imports and exports of the nation rose from $52 million to $205 million.

Intercepting contraband became the Coast Guard's prime mission prior to World War II. This responsibility was mainly a result of Prohibition, (1920-1933), and later in that decade by the prelude of World War II. Following the war, the Coast Guard's prime responsibility shifted largely to safety at sea and aiding navigation.

In the early 1960s, law enforcement once again assumed increased significance. In 1959, Fidel Castro took power in Cuba and within two years, the Coast Guard established patrols to aid refugees and to enforce neutrality, interdicting the transportation of men and arms. This responsibility peaked in 1965 due to increased restrictions on immigration from Cuba and then abated. During the early 1970s, an old law enforcement job, drug interception, took on increasing emphasis which continues today. From 1963 through 1979, the Coast Guard seized 304 vessels, confiscated over $4 billion in contraband and made 1,959 arrests.

Environmental Protection

The Coast Guard has helped to protect he environment for 150 years. In 1822 the Congress created a timber reserve for the Navy and authorized the President to use whatever forces necessary to prevent the cutting of live-oak on public lands.

The shallow-draft cutters were well-suited to this service and were used extensively. Since then, environmental inspection and enforcement has grown to occupy a large part of Coast Guard resources, especially in Alaska.

Search and Rescue

In 1831 the Secretary of the Treasury directed the revenue cutter Gallatin to cruise the coast in search of persons in distress. This was the first time a government agency was tasked specifically to search for those who might be in danger, and over the years, became the primary operational focus of the Coast Guard.

During the 1900s the five different elements, which now comprise the United States Coast Guard, were consolidated, and passed back and forth between the Navy Department and the Department of Commerce. Finally, in 1967, all of the components were finally in place under Coast Guard control, and the Coast Guard itself was placed under the authority of the newly formed Department of Transportation. On March 1, 2003, the Coast Guard was transferred to the brand new Department of Homeland Security. Operational control of the Coast Guard shifts to the Navy during times of war.

Coast Guard at War

In addition to it's every day "peace-time" mission of law enforcement, safety, tariffs, and search and rescue, the Coast Guard supplements the United States Navy during times of war and conflict. The Coast Guard has been militarily involved in every single war the United States has fought from the Civil War to the war in Iraq.

On 11 September 2001, terrorists hijacked four commercial aircraft, crashing two into the World Trade Center in New York and one into the Pentagon in Washington, DC (the fourth aircraft crashed around Shanksville, Pennsylvania when passengers on board attempted to regain control from the terrorists). USCG units from Activities New York were among the first military units to respond in order to provide security and render assistance to those in need.

In response to the terrorist threat and to protect our nation's coastline, ports and waterways, six U.S. Navy Cyclone-class patrol coastal warships were assigned to Operation Noble Eagle on 5 November 2001. This was the first time that U.S. Navy ships were employed jointly under Coast Guard command.

US Coast Guard units deployed to Southwest Asia in support of the US-led coalition engaged in Operation Iraqi Freedom early in 2003. At the height of operations, there were 1,250 Coast Guard personnel deployed, including about 500 reservists. This included two large cutters, a buoy tender, eight patrol boats, four port security units, law enforcement detachments and support staff to the Central (CENTCOM) and European (EUCOM) Command theaters of operation.

Average Day

On an average day, the Coast Guard will:

* Save 15 lives
    * Assist 117 people in distress
    * Conduct 90 search and rescue cases
    * Protect $2.8 million in property
    * Enforce 129 security zones
    * Interdict and rescue 15 illegal migrants at sea
    * Board 4 high interest vessels
    * Board 192 vessels of law enforcement interest
    * Board 122 large vessels for port safety checks
    * Seize 71 pounds of marijuana and 662 pounds of cocaine with a street value of 21.1 million
    * Conduct 317 vessel safety checks and teach 63 boating safety courses
    * Conduct 19 commercial fishing vessel safety exams
    * Respond to 11 oil and hazardous chemical spills
    * Process 280 mariner licenses and documents
    * Service 140 aids to navigation
    * Monitor the transit of 2,557 commercial ships through U.S. ports
    * Investigate 20 vessel casualties involving collisions, allisions and groundings

Feedback Score
    K.L. Davis-

I won't quote your post in it's entirety. I'll just give you a .

I am former AD Coastie, current supervisory 1811, and CG reservist. The term "US Coast Guard Aviation Special Operations Gunner" threw me. It isn't an aviation rating and the CG typically does not refer to anything as "Special Operations." Typically, Special Missions is used. If it is a term of art at, say, HITRON or MSRT, it is probably officially discouraged due to squeamishness about using the Special Operations moniker.

Put another way, it just didn't sound right for the reasons above, but I welcome clarification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR_Redux View Post
    K.L. Davis-

I won't quote your post in it's entirety. I'll just give you a .

I am former AD Coastie, current supervisory 1811, and CG reservist. The term "US Coast Guard Aviation Special Operations Gunner" threw me. It isn't an aviation rating and the CG typically does not refer to anything as "Special Operations." Typically, Special Missions is used. If it is a term of art at, say, HITRON or MSRT, it is probably officially discouraged due to squeamishness about using the Special Operations moniker.

Put another way, it just didn't sound right for the reasons above, but I welcome clarification.
    Hey, heres a quick clarification that i 'can' say you know how it is...
    Sep 2006 USCG took over the NCRAD (national capital region air defense) mission from US Customs. we now deploy a number of Dolphin MH-65C in support of this mission. the armed aircrew position is two fold & is refereed to as USCG NCR OPS GUNNER... officially there is no 'special' but thats what the crews like to call it. this is not a rating but a collateral on top of an aviation rating in only one air station. hope this clarifies things.

Feedback Score
    Sep 2006 USCG took over the NCRAD (national capital region air defense) mission from US Customs. we now deploy a number of Dolphin MH-65C in support of this mission. the armed aircrew position is two fold & is refereed to as USCG NCR OPS GUNNER... officially there is no 'special' but thats what the crews like to call it. this is not a rating but a collateral on top of an aviation rating in only one air station. hope this clarifies things.
    Got it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Talking

Very nice! I don't suppose it can come with a heavy barrel?

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast