Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: *PASSED* WA senate hearing on legalizing suppressors

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The Judiciary Exec Committee has yet to vote on it. This may happen in the next day or so. If it passes, there will be a 90 day period before it takes effect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    What is the current make up of the house and senate? Isn't the Governor a democrat? If I remember correctly she was the AG when I was living there back in the mid-90's.
    The Democrats control the Senate 27-22 and the house 57-41, and yes, she is the Governor.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Yes

I would love to see suppressors allowed for use. Currently when I am not on duty I have to go across the river to Idaho. And if this happens hopefully SBR/SBS will be allowed. Ironic, I carry a 12.5 suppressed for work, but can't own one. Our citizens don't mind us having these types of weapons as long as they are quiet!
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 01-27-11 at 12:04.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    I would love to see suppressors allowed for use. Currently when I am not on duty I have to go across the river to Idaho. And if this happens hopefully SBR/SBS will be allowed. Ironic, I carry a 12.5 suppressed for work, but can't own one. Our citizens don't mind us having these types of weapons as long as they are quiet!
    Technically even as LEO or .mil -- you are committing a gross misdemeanor if you fire a suppressed weapon on the state. There are NO exemptions to the suppressor portion of the law.

That is a major reason the bill has support from the Washington Association of Police and Sheriffs.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

LOL

Yeah, I know. My Sheriff knows. Us on the east side aren't as ignorant as the west thinks we are. Anyways it would be wonderful if our state could get on board with everyone else in a free state. But I will say that having to use an AR unsuppressed in some areas where I live is okay, other areas the citizens don't like to be bothered by noise. Imagine that, PNW people upset by the sound of gunfire? I thought that only happened in Portland!
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Overall I was happy with most of Washingtons laws when I lived there. Especially getting my CCW in less than 7 days. I was disappointed by the suppressor and other NFA nonsense.

That is why I ended up with a Remington AOW.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    Ironically the Washinton law provides no exemption for law enforcement officers so theoretically an anti-gun anti-cop prosecutor could charge you if you discharged a 12.5 suppressed SBR in the line of duty in Washington... yes the law is that screwed up. Edit: I see that you know that already and it was already mentioned... Anyways, I have seen this law broken in circumstances that would make people LOL. A law that is held this much in contempt, including by those who are supposed to enforce it, needs to be gotten rid of.

To Iraqgunz: There is a local guy named Joe Waldron for the CCRKBA and SAF who does an email list for alerts on state legislation and according to him this one has a good chance of getting through... this is the second attempt after it stalled last session for some reason.
    Last edited by BrianS; 01-27-11 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Does the bill now go to both houses for a vote and then onto the Governor? Since you guys know current WA politics is there a chance it will pass?

I find this statement curious- Washington law does not regulate the possession of firearm suppressors. However, it is a gross misdemeanor crime in Washington for any person to use any device or contrivance for suppressing the noise of any firearm.

It would seem as if they certainly do regulate it. Since a person has to follow federal guidelines to obtain one only to be told you can't discharge a round through it while within the state it sounds like they are regulating it to me.
    The statement is very correct. It states "Washington law does not regulate the possession of firearms supressors." It clearly does not.

The wording of the RCW relating to supressors is written as such: "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm, " meaning that it's the "use" thereof, not the possession of that is in violation of the law.

I know it's splitting hairs, but for all practical purposes, the statement is completely correct. We are allowed to own and possess supressors here in WA, we are just not allowed to actually shoot a gun with one attached.

Even worse, the law is so poorly written that technically, foam ear plugs can be construed as being illegal...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I am well aware of the pitfalls of owning them in WA State. I am no legal expert, but if someone owns a suppressor and cannot discharge a round through it (which is what it was designed for), then it sounds to me like it's being regulated.

In any case I hope that the law passes.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    The statement is very correct. It states "Washington law does not regulate the possession of firearms supressors." It clearly does not.

The wording of the RCW relating to supressors is written as such: "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm, " meaning that it's the "use" thereof, not the possession of that is in violation of the law.

I know it's splitting hairs, but for all practical purposes, the statement is completely correct. We are allowed to own and possess supressors here in WA, we are just not allowed to actually shoot a gun with one attached.

Even worse, the law is so poorly written that technically, foam ear plugs can be construed as being illegal...

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    WA has a generally democrat favored government but I was shocked to see the gun laws in WA are really good. I have more gun rights here in WA than I did in Florida. The suppressor thing is really the only dumb one, and a lack of firing ranges but thats why everyone just goes out into the parks.
    I just moved here from FL....what rights are you talking about? CCW is easy in both states but most NFA shit is a no go here. Just wondering.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast