Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defensive Shotgun; How we make it work--MilCopp Blog

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by streck View Post
    I find the comments interesting about the shotgun holding 6-9 rounds being a limitation compared to the 30 of the carbine without acknowledging that the OOB shotshell holds 9 (or 12 in the 3") .33 caliber pellets. With most, and especially the Federal Flight Control, ammo, all pellets are delivered within a few inches at home defense ranges.
    That means my 6 round shotgun delivers 54 projectiles if loaded with 2 3/4" OOB or 72 if loading 3".

Comparable projectile quantity and delivery can't be matched by the carbine.

And, yes, I am framing this around defending within the home so shots beyond 30ish feet are not a factor.
    Yea and each of those pellets is weaker than a .32 ACP nor can the be used on more than one threat.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Yea and each of those pellets is weaker than a .32 ACP nor can the be used on more than one threat.
    I don't think you really understood what I wrote....

I'll add to clarify that those 9-12 pellets are delivered with a single pull of the trigger ....the carbine user will need 9 to 12 pulls of the trigger to equal. As a home defense weapon, within HD distances, the 12g gives up little to nothing to the carbine no matter how much of a fan of the carbine you are.
    Last edited by streck; 05-02-12 at 15:11.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't think you really understood what I wrote....

I'll add that those 9-12 pellets are delivered with a single pull of the trigger ....the carbine user will need 9 to 12 pulls of the trigger to equal. As a home defense weapon, within HD distancesthe 12g gives up little to nothing to the carbine no matter how much of a fan of the carbine you are.
    I understand your argument and its an old one brought up quite a bit. However each one of those pellets is far weaker and provides far less terminal performance potential than a single .223 round even ball. Your implying that since the 12 gauge delivers 9 to 12 projectiles per trigger pull its 9 to 12 times more effective and that is false. While buckshot does have good terminal ballistics its not the equal of 9 to 12 .223 rounds not even close. In fact I would rather have a good .223 or 5.56 load to use over any buck shot load given the choice. Buckshot is very effective at close range before the pattern has had much time to spread. As it spreads it becomes exponetially less effective as the pellets act more as individual projectiles on their own.
    pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pat,
    You did not read what I wrote.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Pat,
    You did not read what I wrote.
    Yes yes I did I just don't agree with your reasoning.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can not have read:

....all pellets are delivered within a few inches at home defense ranges.
    and

As a home defense weapon, within HD distances, the 12g gives up little to nothing to the carbine....
    then post:

Buckshot is very effective at close range before the pattern has had much time to spread. As it spreads it becomes exponetially less effective as the pellets act more as individual projectiles on their own.
    while stating I am wrong or have erroneous reasoning.
    Last edited by streck; 05-02-12 at 16:19.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can not have read:

and

then post:

while stating I am wrong or have erroneous reasoning.
    Your stating that the shotgun shoots 8 to 12 pellets per shot in a small area at home defense distances and that some how makes it superior to a carbine. I don't agree.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Your stating that the shotgun shoots 8 to 12 pellets per shot in a small area at home defense distances and that some how makes it superior to a carbine. I don't agree.
    Pat

I'm curious, does anyone have any reference material on this statement? Not that one weapon system is superior to the other but the lethality or terminal ballistics of a 8 or 9 pellet 00 buck round is any more or less damaging than a 5.56 round at HD distances.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pat
    You don't have agree.

But I like to think that putting more projectiles per trigger pull into a bad guy at close range is better than one. And it seems that the ballistics forum of this site backs up that opinion (though my opinion is not based on it): LINK
    From a pure wound trauma standpoint on a shot against unarmored soft tissue, a close range hit from a 12 ga shotgun using buckshot will create more damage than any 5.56 mm projectile

If I were a police officer on patrol, I would prefer the carbine as well if I could only have one. But inside my house, I am very comfortable and confident in a 3" 00B 12g.
    Last edited by streck; 05-02-12 at 18:26.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast