Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defensive Shotgun; How we make it work--MilCopp Blog

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claren View Post
    Question: how is the light in this photo mounted? Not too hot on the SF forends, and this seems like a great alternative.
    I have found the Surefire forends to be the best solution going for pump shotguns. In fact they only acceptable solution to me.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I have found the Surefire forends to be the best solution going for pump shotguns. In fact they only acceptable solution to me.
    Pat
    Yes, I understand they are quite nice. However, I just bought a Mossberg 590A1, which the SF foregrips are documented to be incompatible with unless you grind off the bayonet lug or run a single-cell light, neither of which I want to do.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes, I understand they are quite nice. However, I just bought a Mossberg 590A1, which the SF foregrips are documented to be incompatible with unless you grind off the bayonet lug or run a single-cell light, neither of which I want to do.
    I just bolted a short section of picatinny rail to my 590 forend and mounted a SF scout light on it. Works pretty well and I can take the light off if needed elsewhere. I paid $120 for a used 600a and $15 for the rail.

Feedback Score
    The new single cell LED SF forend is brighter than the 2 cell forends we've been using up until now. Plenty bright for a shotgun imho.

I'm going to switch to one on my personal 870, as I like the reduced size.

Feedback Score
    I read this and there is little I can agree with. The statement "the list of advantages of the shotgun as a defensive weapon is not a long one" sums up the entire write up and the subject view of the writer. Anyone beliving that statement has little understanding of this weapon and how it is deployed.

However, it is the comments made by the members of this forum in response to this write up that are enough to convince me this is not a forum I will continue to be associated with.
    J.D. MGuire
    Remington LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    If you are going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AI&P Tactical View Post
    I read this and there is little I can agree with. The statement "the list of advantages of the shotgun as a defensive weapon is not a long one" sums up the entire write up and the subject view of the writer. Anyone beliving that statement has little understanding of this weapon and how it is deployed.

However, it is the comments made by the members of this forum in response to this write up that are enough to convince me this is not a forum I will continue to be associated with.
    This is my opinion of course but the shotgun when compared to the patrol rifle overall comes up short. There is still a place for the shotgun in LEO work however. Its usefull as breaching tool, for deploying less lethal rounds and in rural areas its usefull when used as a big bore rifle to dispatch wildlife like bear and moose. In a gun fight however give me a good carbine any day of the week. More ammo, less recoil, range from 0 to 600 yards without having to switch ammo. The shotgun can be a respectable weapon in a gun fight but its range is limited, its more complicated to run due to having multiple types of ammunition to feed it. Its the weapon most officers have the most trouble with. (my observations as a firearms instructor.) The general move towards the patrol rifle is a good one in my opinion.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I find this an odd statement. If you're still here, it might be more productive for you to counter at least the comments with what you think is wrong with them. Obviously the initial post is too long to do that with, but if you'd elaborate on some of the high (low?) points I'd like to hear them.

Or is this an issue of "this article is counter to my business and the posts saying they agree with it only further enrage me"?
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-04-11 at 04:36.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

Timely article, since I just got my first Benelli, and have been rethinking my shotguns in the overall scheme of things - thanks.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

Then post a rebuttal. "I'm taking my ball and going home" doesn't even warrant a post. I thought the article was pretty balanced, mostly the message is that a shotgun is not a rifle, which while pretty obvious fails to leave an impression on a significant number of people.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Or is this an issue of "this article is counter to my business and the posts saying they agree with it only further enrage me"?
    This is most likely. The guy goes from forum to forum with a club of fanboys who announce how super special he is. If you ever bring up any negative points about the shotgun or his methods he takes it like you slapped his wife.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast