Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Prisoners in SHTF?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A prison or well appointed detention facility like a jail would make for a fine bastion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The whole "shtf" is a fantasy and/or delusion. Perhaps it is a way for people living in fear to feel they have control. It is also a way for people to justify having expensive fire arms with no real use for them.
    Last edited by G19dude; 02-28-11 at 03:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G19dude View Post
    The whole "shtf" is a fantasy and/or delusion. Perhaps it is a way for people living in fear to feel they have control. It is also a way for people to justify having expensive fire arms with no real use for them.
    I agree to an extent. The likelihood I will be at home during a SHTF situation is kind of low. I work and go to school, I'm only home to sleep. If something did happen, I'd have to get out of the city to get to my house. Chances are I would be picked off before I made it to my carbine. I can't carry at school, so I typically don't even have my pistol with me. I'm relatively close to Ft. Knox which seems to me like a decent spot for a massive terrorist attack. And if something did happen, people nearby would lose their minds.

My idea of a SHTF situation is a tornado or something which would leave us without a home for added protection. Seems like a much higher chance of that happening than some major attack or apocalyptic event.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsturtle View Post
    I agree to an extent. The likelihood I will be at home during a SHTF situation is kind of low. I work and go to school, I'm only home to sleep. If something did happen, I'd have to get out of the city to get to my house. Chances are I would be picked off before I made it to my carbine. I can't carry at school, so I typically don't even have my pistol with me. I'm relatively close to Ft. Knox which seems to me like a decent spot for a massive terrorist attack. And if something did happen, people nearby would lose their minds.

My idea of a SHTF situation is a tornado or something which would leave us without a home for added protection. Seems like a much higher chance of that happening than some major attack or apocalyptic event.
    Don't get me wrong I feel being prepared for situations is a good thing. But taking a realistic approach is paramount. For example I have 2 extra full spare tires and a gas can in my suv. I have a 3 day pack and my camping gear, food, extra contacts, eye glasses, first aid kit, meds, clothes, blankets and water. A few extra glock mags that I will most likey never need.

Most of this shit I have used like my full spares, my shovel, my camping gear and first aid kit. It helped me more than a tac vest and my AR.

A few years ago people were stuck on the inner state for 12 hours in the winter there was older people running out of gas I was able to offer them blankets and food. I had my pistol for protection concealed just like every other day. Just some food for thought

SHT Fantasy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I drive a subcompact car. I have the normal automotive emergency supplies, small first aid kit, spare clothes and a blanket. That all takes up almost half of my trunk space. I can't carry extra gas without getting high off fumes. I have to worry about weight to keep her road worthy for the non-SHTF time on the road which is 99.9999999999999999% of the time.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The whole "shtf" is a fantasy and/or delusion. .
    This is an example of the "normalcy bias".

I think the chances of a real shtf situation are very low, it is still within the realm of possibilities. If I though the chances were high, I would buy a used nuclear bunker from the govt and go live there.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

It's a good thing that our only choices aren't living in fear or living in denial.

What could go wrong?... A bunch of warring factions, hurling arround a massive ball of flaming gas, floating on molten rock, under attack from countless organisms... This could go on for awhile (surface not scratched) so we'll just go with "etc, etc, etc...".

I feel fine BTW.

Prepared, not scared.
    Last edited by Jerm; 02-28-11 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    You guys should read history or watch the news. In Egypt, protestors recently stormed a prison and released all the prisoners (including muslim militants). In France, they celebrate Bastille Day to commemorate the mobs that stormed the Bastille fortress prison and released all the inmates to start the revolution.

If the social calamity is revolution, then the prisons will be opened up as they always have been. The incorrigibles among the released inmates usually don't last long after being freed as the mob that freed them can turn into a lynch mob in a New York Minute.

If there is a full blown revolution, then released inmates are going to be the least of concerns. Anarchy usually leads to dictatorship, read about how the French Revolution turned into the Reign of Terror.
    Last edited by sixgun-symphony; 03-05-11 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    This thread sort of ran its course... pretty much the last page is dedicated to one comment, that has zero to add to the discussion.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456