Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is there any practical reason to have a 6.5/6.8 bolt rifle?

Feedback Score
    W. W. Wes if your optics are letting you down purchase a Nightforce. I ran a leupold Mark 4 tactical on a FN SPR A3G for a couple of years. Nice glass no problem there but it would not track everytime. I'm not downing the company but I would lose a MOA here and there no big deal at 300. At extended ranges in the wind that is a no go for cold bore shots. The Nightforce tracks hands down. I've also heard from other shooters that S&B will track with the Nightforce but it is more prone to losing zero after being beat around. For the money a Nightforce is a good investment.

Feedback Score
    Savage has a new F class rifle in 6.5-284 that would get you into the sport fairly affordably last price I saw was right at $1200 throw good mounts and a Nightforce scope on it and be ready to compete. Oh and if you arent handloading yet it adds to the sport.

Feedback Score
    You are already on the right track. Ruger's can be notorious for throwing a shot here and there. Cost wise I would stay with the .308 and look at upgrading your glass and especially a different stock or new bedding job. Your .308 should be capable of decent accuracy to 1000yds. Rugers also have been known to have quite a bit of free bore. If you can't seat the bullet out to touch the lands, look at having the barrel set back to give you less "jump".
    BUT, rebarreling to a .260 will truly give you warm fuzzies and a .260 AI is even better and known to cause cases of perma smile. They also won't beat you to death.
    Another is the new 6.5 Creedmoor. It seems VERY promising.
    Have fun.

From an unashamed 6.5 fan.
    Dave
    The 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 are good rounds for there intended platform (AR/M16/M4). But there are MUCH better choices for a mid to long range tac rifle than either.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234