Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any practical reason to have a 6.5/6.8 bolt rifle?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My super fantastic Shepherd Scope has BDC aim marks for each 100 yard increment, out to 1000 yards. They trajectory numbers seem to match the Black Hills ammo I'm using out to 300 yards (the farthest I've shot it so far).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    My super fantastic Shepherd Scope has BDC aim marks for each 100 yard increment, out to 1000 yards. They trajectory numbers seem to match the Black Hills ammo I'm using out to 300 yards (the farthest I've shot it so far).
    Then chances are you might be just fine. If you live in Ohio or Indiana and need more tips on places to shoot mid and long range, just ask.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    [QUOTE]Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keith E.
    Wes just get out there and try it one time. I think you'll be hooked, not to mention having a ball.

Keith.

Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra

He should do some homework before "just trying it".

At a MINIMUM, he must know his trajectory to the expected target distance.

That means working up a load that will remain supersonic to the expected distance, which requires knowing the muzzle velocity of the chosen load. Then applying that info to a ballistics calculator to determine trajectory every 100 yards (every 50 if the targets are at unknown distances). Finally, the rifle must be zeroed at an appropriate distance using the longest range available.

Not doing that is a recipe for disaster. At my club shooters have three shots to find paper at 600 yards (our max distance). Three clean misses and you get pulled off the line. We can't afford bullets going somewhere unknown, and I don't know anyone in the eastern US that can.

Wes unless you just happen to stumble into a nest of uptight buttheads you'll have plenty of help from fellow shooters at a match. Normal decent folks won't just leave you hung out to dry. Grab your gear, head out, and ask a lot of questions. You should be pleasantly surprised at the number of folks willing to help you out even to the point of using their equipment if yours is not properly set up.

Again, "Wes just get out there and try it one time." You may be the shy type though and for that I'd suggest going out to a match, offering assistance as range help. Let the folks there know that you are interested in shooting a match such as theirs and see where it goes from there.

Best of Luck,
    Keith

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Then chances are you might be just fine. If you live in Ohio or Indiana and need more tips on places to shoot mid and long range, just ask.
    Come to a 1000 yard F-class match at Atterbury sometime.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Come to a 1000 yard F-class match at Atterbury sometime.
    I'll be there for the state LR championship at the end of the month. But I do not do F class. I do slings and irons even on any/any matches.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My shooting club had a "Tactical precision" clinic yesterday and I took advantage of it. We shot at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900, and 1000 yards. I managed to get good groups all the way out to 1000, but the BDC on the Shephard scope started to deviate past 500 yards and by the time I got out to 1000 I was using 18" of hold-over; basically, I was aiming at the head to get my shots center mass into the scoring rings, and I had never shot past 500 yards before yesterday.

The rifle shot okay but I was definitly let down by the scope. Windage and elevation adjustments were by tiny ridged tweakers on top of turrets that you had to twist with your fingernails, LOL. Since it was very windy and the wind was constantly shifting in direction, I gave up on that and used offset aim points. Since the BDC was also off, I was using Kentucky windage AND elevation at the same time!

I am satisfied though; I now have a target with pasties in the scoring ring marked "1000". Some of the students never got hits past 600 yards and were pulled off the line. The guy who I was pulling butts for was a cop shooting a M-14; he was using 168 grain rounds and like magic at 1000 yards any of his bullets that hit the taget were going SIDEWAYS!
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 10-07-07 at 16:18. Reason: forgot to say sumthin'
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Heh heh, you're hooked! It will NEVER go away.

Pulling butts?? Sounds like a personal thing. We call it pulling pits around here, but I suppose if you're VERY secure, you can say pulling butts.

Looks like not everybody has gotten the memo about 168s, which is, they're okeydoke at 600 but out to lunch past 800. Now you won't make the same mistake. Also you now know about BDCs not necessarily being an example of truth in advertising. They're valid for only one load and a small range of atmospheric conditions; depend on them at your peril. Work up your own dope and prosper.

Good shootin'! keep it up.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    Here is my platform as of now Rem. 700 .308 win, Badger 20moa base, TPS 35mm rings, and a IOR 3-18X42 scope. I've only shot it out to 300 yards but the groups are nice and tight. I will need to go out to some BLM land so I can go out to 1000 yards.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I heard somewhere that few snipers shot past 300m in OIF.

And we called them the "butts" in the Marines. I think this term goes back to the Archery era!
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Back from the dead, but what about the idea of a Scout Rifle in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast