Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a Colt 6920

Feedback Score

Smile le6920 question

Quote Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
    That price is as low as I have ever seen ,the latest one's are rumored to have small pins and a Full circle M16 BCG . great rifle ,your going to love it . now when people tell you thier rifle is as good as a Colt for less money you can smile and say nothing and just keep grinning it will drive them nuts . I stan corrected Knesek has the lowest price $1210.00 .
    Hi folks, --my first post. I'm new to AR's, and have really enjoyed all the info here. I bought a NIB le6920 in '05 that has the older "C" BCG. How can I tell which size pins it has, and is there a better, or more preferable size, large or small?

A fortified location near Fort Campbell, KY
    Feedback Score
    Is your trigger bad enough to warrant replacing it? I'm the first guy to admit I'm all about a nice trigger job, but if the AR is gonna be a "fighting" rifle, rather than a benchrest or match rifle, even a really bad trigger is probably preferable in terms of durability to a match trigger. Do what ya want with it, its your gun, but I don't think its worth replacing...and I'll guarrantee the trigger in my carbine is worse than yours out of the box.
    Its all fun and games till somebody loses an eye. Then its fun and games you can't see.-James Hetfield

Expertise is nothing more than the basics done correctly.-Holy Roller

ATS Tactical Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
    Hi folks, --my first post. I'm new to AR's, and have really enjoyed all the info here. I bought a NIB le6920 in '05 that has the older "C" BCG. How can I tell which size pins it has, and is there a better, or more preferable size, large or small?

Most "newer" 6920's, likely including yours, seem to have the larger .170 pins. But, some have said that they got them with the smaller pins. Someone else here will have to tell both you and I what the benefit of the smaller size seems to be.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieb8 View Post
    I have about 200 rounds through my Colt 6920. Great gun except for the gritty 7 3/4 trigger pull.
    Another 1000 rounds or so of dry and live fire will settle that trigger in nicely. My 6920s break clean at about 5lbs+/-.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
    I bought a NIB le6920 in '05 that has the older "C" BCG. How can I tell which size pins it has, and is there a better, or more preferable size, large or small?
    You would have to remove one of the fire control group pins.
    Small pins measure around 0.155"
    Large pins measure around 0.169"

The small pins are more preferrable because it gives you a wide range of available parts as well as easy compatability if you were to need to borrow spare parts in the field to keep a gun running.

Every maker of AR-15's uses small pins EXCEPT for Colt who uses large pins on guns made to be sold to the civilian market.

The large pins are to keep you from installing an M16 fire control group.
    There is no other good reason for them.

Colt guns made for the military use small pins.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    I've got a question regarding the BCG. My carbine came with a semi-circle bolt carrier with an unshrouded firing pin. I also noticed an additional forged "fence" inside the lower receiver, could I still use an M16 BCG?
    Last edited by koalorka; 12-11-08 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by koalorka View Post
    I've got a question regarding the BCG. My LE6920 came with a semi-circle bolt carrier with an unshrouded firing pin. I also noticed an additional forged "fence" inside the lower receiver, could I still use an M16 BCG?
    You can use an M16 carrier as long as you don't have the raised hardened block protruding up from your lower receiver. If there's just the wall of aluminum between the rear takedown pin and disconnector then it won't interfere.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    No block just the fence which is flush with the side walls. Thanks.

Feedback Score

Smile Small/Large pins

Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    You would have to remove one of the fire control group pins.
    Small pins measure around 0.155"
    Large pins measure around 0.169"

The small pins are more preferrable because it gives you a wide range of available parts as well as easy compatability if you were to need to borrow spare parts in the field to keep a gun running.

Every maker of AR-15's uses small pins EXCEPT for Colt who uses large pins on guns made to be sold to the civilian market.

The large pins are to keep you from installing an M16 fire control group.
    There is no other good reason for them.

Colt guns made for the military use small pins.
    Thanks for the info. I'm new and this is the first time I've seen this explained in full. Appreciate it.
    Sonny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12