Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Effective is the .44 Magnum?

Feedback Score
    Does the FTX flex tip bullet offer any advantages in a pistol load? I am looking for performance on the lowest end of the velocity spectrum.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    What load you select all depends on what you are trying to do; personally, I choose a .44 Mag over a service pistol when I think I might need greater penetration on a large, dangerous animal--the 300 gr XTP works great for this.

We have not tested the FTX Flex Tip.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KCabbage View Post
    Ah yes, sorry. 6" Desert Eagle pistol.
    Nobody is going to comment on the OP's poor choice of a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle as a home defense firearm?

Even from strictly the terminal ballistics standpoint, .44 Magnum isn't the preferred round to toss across your living room in the dark.

Throw in the five pound gas-operated jam-cannon with wobbly magazines and you're looking at a recipe for disaster.

I won't bother including Box of Truth links showing drywall penetration. I assume we have Experts (TM) here for that.
    Last edited by StrikeFace; 02-23-11 at 05:29.
    Instructions: Remain calm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikeFace View Post
    Nobody is going to comment on the OP's poor choice of a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle as a home defense firearm?

Even from strictly the terminal ballistics standpoint, .44 Magnum isn't the preferred round to toss across your living room in the dark.

Throw in the five pound gas-operated jam-cannon with wobbly magazines and you're looking at a recipe for disaster.

I won't bother including Box of Truth links showing drywall penetration. I assume we have Experts (TM) here for that.
    We do have experts here for that.

The OP asked a Terminal Ballistic question in the Terminal Ballistic Information section. He did not ask for input on his firearm selection.

Feedback Score
    The Desert Eagle is a pretty poor choice for any endeavor...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    The OP asked a Terminal Ballistic question in the Terminal Ballistic Information section. He did not ask for input on his firearm selection.
    ^that

Feedback Score
    I am looking into alternatives to a 300 whisper bolt action.

It seems as though the 300gr XTP 44 mag would trump any whisper load out to practical limits of 100-150 yds with almost identical drop yet with reliable expansion, more energy, and cheaper ammo.

Do you think the XTP would expand reliably as long as it is above 900fps? Hornady's recommended muzzle velocity range is 700 to 1500 fps listed on their website:

http://www.hornady.com/bullets
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sure is some sour taste in here for the Eagle. Other than the face slapping blast from one of these I can't see what's so wrong. This weapon is not my go to gun. It's a pistol I like shooting and would like to keep it loaded as well.

Both of the Mark VII's i've owned have been extrememly reliable with one hand, two, weak grip. ect. Controlled, tightly grouped rapid fire is made possible with two hands. Capacity the same as a full size 1911. Loads that can be tailored with penetration from eleven to twently plus inches.

Am I naive in thinking the extra velocity would give me an edge. Heck, in the end it doesn't even matter. In the past month i've visited the dentist more than I ever have in my life. The root canal and future crown i'm having done tipped the scales and has pretty much forced me to let this eagle fly.

Having my FFL/Smith repolish and reblue for a low-low price and it's making daddy some money. I hope to have another in the future.
    Last edited by KCabbage; 02-27-11 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    .44 Mag is a caliber that is in the transitional range between service caliber handgun loads with minimal stretch effects and rifle calibers with substantial TC damage, as in some cases .44 Mag generates a sufficiently large temporary cavity to damage susceptible inelastic tissues. Hopefully you have read: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19930. As noted, my .44 Mag general purpose load of choice is the Hornady 300 gr XTP. Another transitional caliber where TC is beginning to be a significant mechanism of wounding is the .30 Carbine when using good quality expanding ammunition like the Barnes 110 gr XPB, Rem 110 gr JSP, and Speer 110 gr Gold Dot.
    Thanks for the information I did not know that. Back before I got my my 5 shot Hamilton Bowen for bear defense I did some amateur testing with my 44 smith using 300 grain XTP handloads. The bullets always expanded nicely and went deep.

Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For trail defense against brown bear, would the 300 gr XTP be sufficient or should hard cast loads be used? 5" barreled .44 mag Revolver. I only have this one pistol up here and have been carrying 305 gr. underwood hard cast on the trails and 240 gr XTP in the city. Would be nice to maybe just use the 300gr XTP for everything (even though I am yet to find it for sale, unlike the 240). We wear a lot of clothes so EDC'ing the N-frame isn't hard, but I do plan to get a more appropriate 9mm for in-town EDC at some point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast