Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surgeon or GAP .338 or something comparable

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I say awkward handling, I mean that the bottom of the trigger guard seems to irritate my hand as well as the general grip also. I really wanted to like the DTA and the AI AW but they just didn't feel right in my paws. I dont have big hands either, its just they just didn't good.

Feedback Score
    I don't buy that you've handled a DTA. Know why? I have an AI, and a DTA... and they feel nothing like each other.

Your money, buy whatever you want. Just don't prematurely dismiss something because you think its the same as something else, when it's not.

Were I going to buy a full size 338... it would probably be a PGW timberwolf or a custom built by william roscoe. I've seen GAP's work, and the attention to detail that william has... just isn't there. Skunkworks would be a possibility if I couldn't get william to do it. (he wasn't taking on any new customers last time I talked to him) Yes he's that good.
    Last edited by orkan; 02-04-11 at 02:47.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    I don't buy that you've handled a DTA. Know why? I have an AI, and a DTA... and they feel nothing like each other.
    Per your doubts about my handling of the DTA and the AI, I said that that they both did not feel right in my hand. They had individual characteristics that did not lend them be suited for my likes.

The AI being the thumbhole stock irritating my my thumb and giving me a squished hand feeling and the portion of the grip that merges with the trigger guard irritating my my middle finger.With the DTA the back portion of the grip did not lent itself to being suitable for my hands and the again the trigger guard irritated my middle finger. They both had similar characteristics as far as my not liking the two guns.

Also on a side note, what was it in the attention to detail that was lacking from GAP? I truely am interested and want know more about it so I can make a better choice.
    Last edited by snaggletooth; 02-04-11 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    Several GAP rifles I've handled did not have proper bedding in the rear tang and looked like crap. Functionally, they still shot so its a minor bitch... but in my opinion GAP is a victim of their own success.

They hold a cult-like following, and can do no wrong in some people's eyes.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Also, think about the new AI AX series coming out. I would also make sure I have a place to shoot the 338 to take advantage of the caliber's potential. Of course there's the simple wants and have's if you're able
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Also, think about the new AI AX series coming out. I would also make sure I have a place to shoot the 338 to take advantage of the caliber's potential. Of course there's the simple wants and have's if you're able

Was just about to post the same thing. AI's are pretty common where I shoot (1k yard range), and the AX looks like it will be a solid platform with some nice upgrades to the current AW/M.

I was just shooting last week with a guy with a Sako 338, and its an amazing LR combo, too. That guy was tagging the 1k yard gongs like it was going out of style.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Was just about to post the same thing. AI's are pretty common where I shoot (1k yard range), and the AX looks like it will be a solid platform with some nice upgrades to the current AW/M.

I was just shooting last week with a guy with a Sako 338, and its an amazing LR combo, too. That guy was tagging the 1k yard gongs like it was going out of style.
    Dont know what the AX is? Shawn Carlock has the 338EDGE +P on the way as well

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax_series.php

SMGLee has an AI pic thread in the Shot Show forum, too.

Probably be a lot pricier than a GAP 338 (or similar) but AI makes a true military grade gun plus the AX chassis offers a lot more mounting choices if people want to run NV or whatever. The AI action is bombproof, too, and meant to be run in harsh conditions.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is my opinion and not to knock the known quality of some of these builds. I've been behind some nice sticks built by x, x and x -but until you get behind an AI, you don't know what you're missing.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsI2WiIRpE

One of the cool things about the AI is the barrels are user removable. You can send your AI gun to a place like GAP, and they will keep your setup information on file. Then if you wanted to change calibers they can spin up a new barrel for you, and you can install it yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast