Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surgeon or GAP .338 or something comparable

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    This is my opinion and not to knock the known quality of some of these builds. I've been behind some nice sticks built by x, x and x -but until you get behind an AI, you don't know what you're missing.
    My brother is a combat veteran 8541 and 8542. He feels the same way about his AI AW "Matilda."

Feedback Score
    GAP rifles are very well made. Can't speak for the Surgeon. But I tell you Orkin sure is making me want to sell a couple things and get a Desert Tactical... Stop showing pictures, I can hear my bank account dwindle...
    Last edited by Supergrade; 03-20-11 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would definitely look into the Sako TRG-42 if you're looking for a 338 Lap Mag rifle. Side by side comparisons and testing show its one of the most accurate out of the box rifles when compared to the usually more expensive counterparts. However, something to think about if you say this is for S&G's: You can get a very accurate rifle chambered in .308 thats great for long range shooting. Unless you're wanting to spend over 3 grand on a rifle and 3 grand on glass that allows it to perform to its true potential. Along with that, ammunition is going to be much more expensive and magazines for even the TRG are 180 for .338. If you want long range and dont intend to shoot over 1500m I would look into going .308 instead. More rounds down range, more training, save money.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    I would definitely look into the Sako TRG-42 if you're looking for a 338 Lap Mag rifle. Side by side comparisons and testing show its one of the most accurate out of the box rifles when compared to the usually more expensive counterparts. However, something to think about if you say this is for S&G's: You can get a very accurate rifle chambered in .308 thats great for long range shooting. Unless you're wanting to spend over 3 grand on a rifle and 3 grand on glass that allows it to perform to its true potential. Along with that, ammunition is going to be much more expensive and magazines for even the TRG are 180 for .338. If you want long range and dont intend to shoot over 1500m I would look into going .308 instead. More rounds down range, more training, save money.

Or 300WM. Ammo is only slightly more expensive than 308 but a big jump in down range capability.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsI2WiIRpE

One of the cool things about the AI is the barrels are user removable. You can send your AI gun to a place like GAP, and they will keep your setup information on file. Then if you wanted to change calibers they can spin up a new barrel for you, and you can install it yourself.
    Better than that, they already have it on file, as AI headspacing is and always has been the same. Call them and order an AI barrel... don't send anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123