Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 reloading for plinking

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

.308 reloading for plinking

Seems the general goal is to reload match/sniper grade round. Has anyone gone to the proverbial basement and been able to get their cost per round down in the sub .45 cent range with today's materials prices(not a load purchased way back when)? I've been shooting a ton of the Wolf Poly and it shocked me how accurate I was out to 250 which is the end of our range. Good enough for me anyway. I'm getting that for .45 to my door. Can I beat that by reloading brass? Incidentally I have access to piles of once fired 308 brass. Thanks for anyone who has gone that route.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The biggest variable would be bullet. Wideners has IMI 147s for 79 dollars per 500. I find it hard to believe you can't make the 45 cent threshold with (after shipping) a 20 cent bullet.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The biggest variable would be bullet. Wideners has IMI 147s for 79 dollars per 500. I find it hard to believe you can't make the 45 cent threshold with (after shipping) a 20 cent bullet.
    I agree. I developed a 300BLK subsonic load with those IMI 147s & I'm at $0.30/round. I blow through those like they're going out of style.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    I've been shooting a ton of the Wolf Poly and it shocked me how accurate I was out to 250 which is the end of our range. Good enough for me anyway. I'm getting that for .45 to my door. Can I beat that by reloading brass?
    Absolutely. Like the others said, the biggest cost is the projectile.

Brownells sells Nosler Custom Competitions for 25¢/round or so, so you don't even really need to shoot crummy milsurp bullets...

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Incidentally I have access to piles of once fired 308 brass.
    Reload it or sell it... once-fired brass is worth 5-10¢/round.

BTW: if you figure in the value of the once-fired brass (if you sell it), then brass-cased ammo is usually CHEAPER than steel-cased .308.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    RMR runs some crazy deals on Nosler 175gr CC bullets every once in awhile. Back in May I snagged 3000 for $612 shipped, which is 20.4 cents per.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    RMR runs some crazy deals on Nosler 175gr CC bullets every once in awhile. Back in May I snagged 3000 for $612 shipped, which is 20.4 cents per.
    Damn. That's a decent buy for 77 grain bullets... forget 175s!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Nosler and Hornady overruns and blems are the way to go. I've never had anything shoot an M80 style bullet worth a crap and the ones I mentioned can usually be found in the 22-30 cents per range with shipping. Check Powder Valley, Midsouth Shooter Supply, Shooters Pro Shop.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the great info everyone this is music to my ears.

Feedback Score
    Plinking and target round. 125 TNT bullet. 41.5 imr-4895. Bullet is $.20 per when bought at 500 lots. Very accurate, light recoil, as cheap as you will get. A+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Damn. That's a decent buy for 77 grain bullets... forget 175s!
    I know, right? I wish I had bought 5,000+, but the credit card was in pain that month since I also got my NF ATACR the same week. It's really nice when your precision 1000+ yard load costs less than MEN or Hirtenberger, though.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast