Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Imagining what freeways will look like in SHTF

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Buying a few acres a few miles away from major lines of communication out in the country and bugging in, is making more sense to me. Doing an environmental recon of property that will or should have the following: not be easy to stumble across, near multiple water sources (including a well), land to grow food, improved to a hardened shelter, easy to defend and large enough to support several gun toting friends and there families, and well stocked for several months.
    Idaho, Montana & Wyoming all come to mind but too many movie stars and Californians have bought up property and drove prices through the roof.
    Hell even an old SAC missile silo has great appeal.
    There are several other companies in the business but here's a start. http://www.missilebases.com/properties

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    After seeing the pics on the news about the last snow storm back east, all I could think of was "What kind off idiot leaves the door open on their car when they decide to hoof it to somewhere else?" There were numerous cars with the interiors packed full of snow. That is just ****ing stupid.

Feedback Score
    I worked at an aircraft manufacturer in Savannah, GA back in the 1990’s. A hurricane was coming our way. I remember the company telling us that we would continue working as normal that day because the hurricane probably wouldn’t hit us. However, at the same time, they flew all the flyable jets to Atlanta.

I decided to bugout too. I had no gas, no money & nothing packed. I’ll never get caught that unprepared again. I never go below a half a tank of gas & I have spare gas at home that I rotate. I have multiple levels of go bags (my 3-day bag is always in my vehicle).

My uncle got caught in an evacuation from Savannah for a hurricane several years ago. Even with the interstate having all lanes outbound, the normal 4 hr drive took 8 hrs. He would have run out of gas, but he tried his credit card on a pump at a close gas station & it worked.

Feedback Score
    Take whatever you can from the car to make sure it won't get stolen, leave it, maybe come back and there is a 1 in 100000 chance you can run it later.

If " SHTF " SOOOOO bad that I knew the freeway wasn't an escape route, and it had to happen like, now, I wouldn't even try, I'd already be dead.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    It's so amazing what you can do with photoshop these days.
    Actually that photo was taken in LA when Obama drove across town. SS blocked everything off because... no one likes the President? Anyway, it created the mess you see in the pic.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kihnspiracy View Post
    After seeing the pics on the news about the last snow storm back east, all I could think of was "What kind off idiot leaves the door open on their car when they decide to hoof it to somewhere else?" There were numerous cars with the interiors packed full of snow. That is just ****ing stupid.
    I can't imagine people doing that. Perhaps the cars had been broken into and the thieves left the doors open.

Imagine a lady leaving her car and hoofing it in a snow storm while wearing high heels and a skirt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Actually that photo was taken in LA when Obama drove across town. SS blocked everything off because... no one likes the President? Anyway, it created the mess you see in the pic.
    The 5 and 91 in LA and OC usually look close to that bad on any normal weekday during rush hour.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Houston, Tx. - Hurricane Rita

I was home in bed watching these idiots. Hurricane Katrina turned everyone hypersensitive. Stupid though, as Houston, unlike New Orleans, isn't right on the coast or below sea level. I'd was in Houston for Hurricane Alicia and rode it out, so I wasn't about to leave for Rita. Sadly, people died on the freeways, and as we all know, Rita made a u-turn and didn't even hit Houston.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    A few folks I know have those little scooters set aside for this. While being awarded absolutely no CDI points, they get 100+ MPG, are capable of traveling decent speeds, offroad, down sidewalks, though foot tunnels and can be picked up and carried around obstructions.

Keep it preloaded with an extra gallon of gas and a BOB, and you have a pretty smart option... of course you still look like a dork
    hopefully you won't get knocked off your scooter by a baseball bat or tire iron, much less shot off it by bubba and his 12ga.

Feedback Score
    My Yamaha Rhino. (Farmer)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234