Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imagining what freeways will look like in SHTF

Feedback Score
    I'll be the guy on the mountain bike with the backpack going by ya

duing hurrican Ike, I did quite well with the MTB, the M4 is broke down in the backpack w/a few spare mags and a G19 within immediate reach.

I could have easly made the 300 mile trip to AR if necessary in less than a week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    A few folks I know have those little scooters set aside for this. While being awarded absolutely no CDI points, they get 100+ MPG, are capable of traveling decent speeds, offroad, down sidewalks, though foot tunnels and can be picked up and carried around obstructions.

Keep it preloaded with an extra gallon of gas and a BOB, and you have a pretty smart option... of course you still look like a dork
    If it looks stupid, but it works.....It is not stupid!

This is how I roll in regards to two wheels. It is the pickup truck of the bike world:

Feedback Score
    That being said, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would choose to live around so many people.

A long time ago I made a choice to forsake a huge paycheck for living rurally.

No regrets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    A few folks I know have those little scooters set aside for this.
    Could always rock a streetable dirt bike instead. Won't get nearly the same milage but (a) you won't look like a dork and (b) it'll go offroad way better.

Feedback Score
    I intend to bug in if TSHTF during a natural disaster. If bridges are out travel will be nearly impossible with a family. However if there is pending doom and gloom coming I am bugging out to the family cabin early!

Certain things could make travel impossible even on a motorcycle.
    1. Earth quake large scale, bridges will go out, building will fall, roads may dissapear, land slides, hiking cross country may become impossible! Think Hati

2. Hurricane, flooding trees down, wires down, roads and bridges washed out! Think Katrina

3. Small scale weather events such as snow and ice storms could distrupt travel and lock up roads for days to hours!

A large scale traffic jam could be the end of many people in short order. Those pictures look like a total mess that I would not want to be part of!
    Last edited by Jafo; 02-02-11 at 22:51. Reason: sp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    If bridges are out travel will be nearly impossible with a family.
    Caulk the wagons and float across. Fording is usually too risky.

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple dirtbikes and my girlfriends Chevy SUV beats my Honda's ass offroad anyday...

Water in Oregon however...

:|
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glockeyed View Post

not going to do you a damn bit of good in 4ft of snow, or when youre stuck in bumper-to-bumper, penned in by concrete barriers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
    not going to do you a damn bit of good in 4ft of snow, or when youre stuck in bumper-to-bumper, penned in by concrete barriers.
    true. but i haven't see snow in FL since '83 and that was an inch that only lasted a day
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The problem: If you KNEW you were going to get halted in gridlock, you wouldn't go that way...

Only PRE-WARNED events will offer you the possibilities to CHOOSE your bug-out vehicle... In NORMAL TIMES, I do not carry a mountain bike on the back of my FJ Cruiser, nor do I have a scooter on a bumper rack like an RV has.

The only way I see myself as one of those vehicles in those pictures is if I was taken by SURPRISE... And my goal would be to GET HOME and bug-in... Which would mean WALKING for almost anyone in the same situation...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast