Thread: 6.8spc Uppers

Feedback Score

6.8spc Uppers

I currenlty been doing alot of research and reading alot of information on the 6.8Spc Uppers. I have read the ar15.com's upper reviews as well. I currently have a RRA Upper but was looking to possibly upgrade. I wanted to hear what uppers or smiths that make custom builds would you recommend. I would like a 16" mid lenght with 1:11 twist, M16 BC, HPT/MPI 6.8Spc Bolt, and chambered for the new 6.8SPCII. I was looking around at different sites for builds like ar15 perfomance, MSTN (which site is down for time being), titanarmory, bisonarmory. I just wanted to hear what builds would you recommend or what you have experience with. I was also looking at brands like LWRCI which is kind of steep for an upper and the new addax tactical upper due out later this year. A question I had about the barrels is that do they offer HPT/MPI barrels in 6.8SPC because most places seem to be offering 6.8SPC barrels in stainless steel. Do think its even worth to get rid of the RRA Upper or should I just upgrade the barrel, bolt, carrier, and build what I want. I just want to hear everyone's input on 6.8SPC uppers since there is a lot to chose from and if i choose to get rid of the RRA Upper I want to make a good choice. Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejc204 View Post
    I currenlty been doing alot of research and reading alot of information on the 6.8Spc Uppers.
    There is plenty more already posted here for you to read. Use the search feature (orange button at the very top of the screen, not the other one). I'd also recommend www.68forums.com.

Also, it would be helpful to others who might be willing to help you if you'd expound on what your intended use of the weapon is, and what it is that you are not satisfied with about your RRA that makes you consider upgrading.
    Last edited by 40Arpent; 02-03-11 at 08:56. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    There are plenty of good options out there. If I were getting a 16" upper, I would get the Rougue Hunter from Noveske, or wait until the new TRX rail comes out with a better method of attachment/fastening and flip up front sight.

Feedback Score
    Wilson claims a sub moa upper, noveske makes good uppers, arperformance.com, and spikes makes a decently priced midlength.

Feedback Score
    Noveske 16" SS Recon barrel in 6.8mm SPC

Accuracy testing was performed from a bench-rest at 100 yards using a Leupold Vari-X III set at 25 power for sighting. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe. All groups consisted of 10-shots each. I fired three 10-shot groups in a row using hand-loaded 115 Sierra MatchKings. The extreme spreads for those groups measured:

0.99”
    1.00”
    1.12”

for a 10-shot group grand average of 1.04”. The mean radius for the three 10-shot groups was 0.37”.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I did the exact same thing you are doing. Started out with a RRA LAR-68 upper, then sold it to fund a Recon upper from AR Performance. Of course, I took a huge loss on the resale because I overpaid for the RRA to begin with but I'm happy with the ARP. The guy I sold it to just wanted it for hunting, so I imagine he's quite happy with it now.

ARP uppers and bolts are very high quality. You won't be disappointed with one, and Harrison takes care of his customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ejc204 View Post
    I currenlty been doing alot of research and reading alot of information on the 6.8Spc Uppers. I have read the ar15.com's upper reviews as well. I currently have a RRA Upper but was looking to possibly upgrade. I wanted to hear what uppers or smiths that make custom builds would you recommend. I would like a 16" mid lenght with 1:11 twist, M16 BC, HPT/MPI 6.8Spc Bolt, and chambered for the new 6.8SPCII. I was looking around at different sites for builds like ar15 perfomance, MSTN (which site is down for time being), titanarmory, bisonarmory. I just wanted to hear what builds would you recommend or what you have experience with. I was also looking at brands like LWRCI which is kind of steep for an upper and the new addax tactical upper due out later this year. A question I had about the barrels is that do they offer HPT/MPI barrels in 6.8SPC because most places seem to be offering 6.8SPC barrels in stainless steel. Do think its even worth to get rid of the RRA Upper or should I just upgrade the barrel, bolt, carrier, and build what I want. I just want to hear everyone's input on 6.8SPC uppers since there is a lot to chose from and if i choose to get rid of the RRA Upper I want to make a good choice. Thanks
    I'd build a completely new upper in 6.8SPC, I would not convert an upper I already have.
    http://www.talonarms.com/index.php?m...72a861a753730b

http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_bu_spc.html
    Pat

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

Feedback Score
    I bought a 6.8 Rogue Hunter from Noveske and placed a quality scope on it. It has very much suited my purposes...

Feedback Score
    IMO, I think you should keep what you have & build new.

If you want a custom build that wont break the bank I would suggest Bison Armory or AR Performance. I have a custom build & I used Bison Armory, they use ER Shaw barrels. I went with the ITS Super Bolt to match (ARP manufactures it) the Young Manufacturing Side Charging BCG in a Mega Billet Side Charging Upper, Ops Inc MD & it shoots sub 1" with SSA factory "commercial" loads.

68forums has more GOOD info than one knows what to do with, defiantly look it up!