Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The m16 A1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I wish BCM Sold A2 uppers.
    Don't even go there....Bravo already holds the mortgage on my house!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I remember an A1 we had in the armory back in 91 that had an A1 upper with a deflector bump, an FNMI 1/7 barrel and an A2 lower but was a full auto A1. Round A2 handguards too. Everything else in the armory was early 70's production Colts.

I think the rifle was cobbled together by direct support but I am not sure. It was close to being the perfect A1.
    Maybe not. What you describe is an M16A1E1 - I saw one just like it in ROTC in the mid-eighties. My instructor was pissed because he couldn't get one of the A2's released to him to show our 2nd year class. Frankly, I was surprised when he showed up in class with that rifle. They had ltwt A1 profile barrels but in 1:7, which would be damn near the ideal light rifle barrel. Not many were made that way - the A2 profile was deemed 'superior'. CMMG was making duplicates of the barrel for awhile, but stopped just about the time I was ready to buy one.

Some of these had A2 marked A1 lowers as well. Colt was clearly cleaning off their shelves. I believe a number of M16A1's were 'upgraded' with A2 furniture in the field to bring them up to A2 'spec' but the A2 being issued in quantity put an end to that eventually. A real M16A1E1 swould be a rare bird. I'd love to find a real upper assy. At the time the main selling point was the A2 sights, and it was the same as it is now - every unit wanted the latest and greatest, so no one wanted reworked A1's - at least that's the sense I got of it from my instructor at the time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm trying to think of anything better about the A2, and aside from the large rear sight aperture, handguards and twist rate, I have nothing.

Feedback Score
    I managed to get 2, with both boys still in place and in tact thankfully.
    One is a complete rifle with A2 furniture and the other just a lower. I have to admit, the rifle is no more than a safe queen. I refuseto fire it as it was a very rare find. the lower on the other hand has an M4 upper sitting on it and will fire it once that build is complete.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    I managed to get 2, with both boys still in place and in tact thankfully.
    One is a complete rifle with A2 furniture and the other just a lower. I have to admit, the rifle is no more than a safe queen. I refuseto fire it as it was a very rare find. the lower on the other hand has an M4 upper sitting on it and will fire it once that build is complete.
    Pics or it didn't happen!

Feedback Score
    The rifle in Post # 1 of the full auto thread no photo of the A1 lower yet though.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 04-02-11 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I think M16A1 its when I entered the Army in Oct 83-Jul 87' then we traded for M16A2s. Actually when I got to 5th SFGA in Nov 84' got issued a XM16E1. Classic lightweight rifles but not something I would want in Astan. Here I want rails and optics.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A yes/no question please and thanks, as far as original Colt M16 parts go, was there a difference in the auto sear for a full auto VS. 3 rnd burst? I came across a website that had Original Colt M16 parts and there was a "Colt 3 round burst (auto) sear" and a seperate "Colt auto sear". Thank you

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, almost $20k????

Shit, if you're patient you can get one for like $10k.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Is it just me or would anyone else give a testicle to own this firearm? I know the platform has come a long way but when I think M16, this is the image that pops in my head....simple, elegant beauty!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=214505232

Be Safe!
    Heavyweight
    I built myself one like that. DEZ Arms offers a 1/7", but it isn't chrome lined. That's what I used though, as I don't expect to get into extended firefights or use it in hot and humid environments for weeks on end. About the only things that are actually over a year or two old are the furniture and FSB. Shoots great.

Last edited by jtb0311; 04-08-11 at 00:09.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast