Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vltor vs. YHM flash hider comparison?

Feedback Score

Vltor vs. YHM flash hider comparison?

Can anyone advise if the new Vltor Model 1 FH has any distinct advantage over the YHM Phantom 5C1 for half the price? I'm thinking about buying the Vltor to put on my 10.3 SBR & was curious if it would be better than the Phantom with regard to muzzle rize & flash suppression? Thanks for any intel you can provide.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Can anyone advise if the new Vltor Model 1 FH has any distinct advantage over the YHM Phantom 5C1 for half the price? I'm thinking about buying the Vltor to put on my 10.3 SBR & was curious if it would be better than the Phantom with regard to muzzle rize & flash suppression? Thanks for any intel you can provide.

The 5C1 is a FS. The VLTOR is a MB with some FS capabilities. It is also 100% better made than the YHM 5C1.

At a recent shooting school, we were doing some mag dumps. I was shooting a gun with the VLTOR MB on it. The guy next to me said that my weapon never moved. I would have to agree with him.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-03-07 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    The control over muzzle rize sounds promising. Would you recommend it for my unsuppressed 10.3? They must be good since I cannot find a dealer that has one in stock.

Is there another YHM Phantom that compares to it other than the 5C1? I mentioned that one since I prefere the non-serrated muzzle end. Thanks.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    The control over muzzle rize sounds promising. Would you recommend it for my unsuppressed 10.3? They must be good since I cannot find a dealer that has one in stock.

Is there another YHM Phantom that compares to it other than the 5C1? I mentioned that one since I prefere the non-serrated muzzle end. Thanks.

It was on a 10.5.

I have one left in stock. Sold a truck load of the things.

YHM does make a MB, but I don't know how good it is.

I also really like the SF MB556K as well. If you find the VC-1 pricey, don't look at the SF.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The 5C1 is a FS. The VLTOR is a MB with some FS capabilities. It is also 100% better made than the YHM 5C1.

At a recent shooting school, we were doing some mag dumps. I was shooting a gun with the VLTOR MB on it. The guy next to me said that my weapon never moved. I would have to agree with him.

C4
    Could you please explain how the Vltor is 100% "better made" than the YHM 5C1.
    Is it necessary to "time" the Vltor?
    Also, do you notice any difference in accuracy between the two?
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post
    Could you please explain how the Vltor is 100% "better made" than the YHM 5C1.
    Is it necessary to "time" the Vltor?
    Also, do you notice any difference in accuracy between the two?
    Sure. It uses better materials, is machined nicer and has better fit/finish.

No need to time the VLTOR.

As far as actually improving accuracy, I would say that there is only one FS that does that and that is the Vortex. If you want faster follow up shots and less muzzle flip, the VLTOR is the way to go.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-04-07 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    I didnt know the Vortex improved accuracy. Thats a hell of a product.

Feedback Score
    I have two Vortex that I use on seperate rifles, neither one improves accuracy. Although, the Vortex does seem to do the least amount of damage to accuracy as compared to other muzzle devices I have used.
    I speculate that this is due to it's symetrical design, as opposed to other muzzle devices that are asymetrical.
    I have a Vltor VC-1 on order. It looks promising as well.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post

Actually if I remember correctly, it was the Army that tested the Vortex and found that it actually improves accuracy. It also kills the most flash of ANY FS.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Actually if I remember correctly, it was the Army that tested the Vortex and found that it actually improves accuracy. It also kills the most flash of ANY FS.

C4
    Yes, it is more accurate than the asymetric A2 flash hider. Anything placed at the muzzle end of the barrel will degrade accuracy to some extent. I have not seen anything that suggests that the Vortex improves accuracy.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast