Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine shooting while moving..

Feedback Score

Carbine shooting while moving..

I recently attended a carbine and pistol course and we did advancing on the target and shooting with the carbine. In a nutshell, I need more work in this area. Most of my carbine shooting is from a stationary position and I'm ok there but the advancing on target part pretty much sucked. Can you guys offer any specific suggestions that would help me with my accuracy? I'm trying to tighten up my group and become more consistent with my shot placement.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Watch the Todd Jarrett video 'shooting on the move', it's pretty good. Foot work on pistol and carbine is the same.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    maintain a steady heel to toe walk and tighten up your abs and upper body as much as needed to keep on targett...
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Watch the Todd Jarrett video 'shooting on the move', it's pretty good. Foot work on pistol and carbine is the same.
    Hey Thanks for that link. I just watch in amazment. Outstanding manipulation
    skills.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Shooting on the move with a long gun is much harder to do than with a pistol. Even with applying the groucho walk, it's not natural with a long gun.

Feedback Score

GotM4 U da Man!!!

Thanks so much for that link!!! I wish I'd seen it before the course. Now excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor .
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    maintain a steady heel to toe walk and tighten up your abs and upper body as much as needed to keep on targett...

+1 Just add timing and rhythm to it.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo58 View Post
    Thanks so much for that link!!! I wish I'd seen it before the course. Now excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor .
    Todd is very skilled and good at explaining what goes on. He's a great guy to shoot with, he's WAY down to earth and gives a ton of free advice and instruction.

I too usually don't do too well in classes with shooting and moving with a long-gun (pistol shooting and moving I usually can do no problem). Even in 3gun competition I stop/pause just for a second to make the shots and then run balls to the wall to the next target array.

As Todd says "always be going somewhere", after 3yrs of competition shooting I'm still learning this one although I am pretty good at it. The bigger the stage the better I do against the other competitors. It's the fast and low round count stages where I do worse.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

Shooting while moving..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post
    +1 Just add timing and rhythm to it.
    That's funny you mention that because my buddy that teaches the CF guys in Afghanistan gave me the exact same tip yesterday. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be putting it to use as soon as I can get back to the range. "Must get better, must get better".

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The opening scene in Todd Jarrett's videos showed him shooting the IPSC steel on the half run barely a couple feet from those targets. I wondered what kind of ammo he was using to avoid bullet splatters. We normally shoot steel from a minimum of 10 yds, using normal full power ammo (lead or jacketed).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast