Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to get the wife interested in shooting???

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    .22's and reactive, or the shoot-n-see targets can make it a lot more entertaining.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    .22's and reactive, or the shoot-n-see targets can make it a lot more entertaining.
    The last time I took my wife along, she saw someone shooting these targets and said she liked the look of them for the reason you mention. Generally my wife doesn't want to shoot but when I talk her into it, she has had fun. Her biggest problem is the noise. Get a couple of 45's either side of our lane and she's done. She has actually expressed more interest in shooting outdoors because of this and we'll likely give that a try this spring.

As far as gun shopping goes, she has looked and decided she likes .22's for their size and lack of noise which is fine with me if it gets her interested. Once I get my first AR completed, I plan on buying a .22 upper to see if I can get her interested in shooting a rifle

The only other gun she has been interested in is a Walther PPK after I told her it was the gun James Bond carries She handled one and her face lit up like a christmas tree, perhaps I might surprise her with one, one of these days.

Feedback Score
    My girlfriend is anti-gun and absolutely hates it when I conceal and carry. It kind of sucks but she got robbed gun point at work (for a lousy 100 dollars) and now she understands why I carry. I told her you have to learn how to shoot cause you never know when your going to need those skills... Shit happens.. Don't be a victim!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    I hear some people are able to get their wife or gf to take an interest in shooting. Some lucky individuals have posted that their significant others even grab their carbine and go shooting on their own! I have taken my wife shooting about 4 times, but every time it is like I have to convince her to go. I am not pushy, or demanding, I just try and make it fun in hopes that she will take some type of interest. If she would take an interest, she could have any equipment, any training she wanted. Anything!

The most I have been able to get her to do is pretend there was a threat, and run to where I keep hidden a pistol, and grab it....She is horrible with that pistol!

I am thinking of buying her a CX4 carbine for her birthday to get things started(she is. a recoil sensetive lefty), but I don't know if it will just be a waste.

My goals are for her to be at least half way competent on defending herself when I am away so that we have a little bit of understanding and peace of mind, serving some type of defence role if I am home, and just having fun if we go shooting.

I don't know why she doesn't like shooting, just like she doesn't know why I don't want to make earrings?

Anyone have some insight or experience in this matter?
    Find someone who is a good shooter, who is switched on - THAT YOU TRUST - and leave her with him for a couple of hours at the range. Sorry dude, but you're a damper on your wife's ability to learn. Happens all the time.

Feedback Score
    Look into Cowboy Action Shooting and the Buckskinner Rendezvous. Both are a great way to get girlfriends, wives, and others into the shooting sports.

Women love the costume and the comradery found in both CAS and Buckskinning.

http://sassnet.com/
    http://www.nmlra.org/

Feedback Score
    Lucky me, my GF was interested in shooting simply because I was. For the most part, your girl will be happy just by you showing her attention. If that includes walking her through the "firearms door" at a comfortable pace, this will not only help her to get acquainted with firearms, but also help strengthen your relationship.

Feedback Score
    .22 is a good place to start. Reactive targets, good, good.

Make it fun and easy. Go over all the function and safety of the gun before you get there. Do it a few times.

If she gets overwhelmed when you get there it won't be fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The promise of jewelry. Guaranteed to work.

My wife has always been around weapons since her dad was career Army, so I never had to much nudging - thank God. However, one thing that made her actually want to shoot was a simple spinner target & a .22 rifle. She couldn't get enough of that, lol.
    Last edited by Stangman; 04-19-11 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you got a girlfriend she might get interested in a hurry

Seriously, Don't push too hard. Plant a seed and let it grow little by little. Start small with a .22, no macho crap. Take her out once for 30 minutes and let it sit for a month or 2. You are married so time is on your side. Jay has the best advise with getting the hell out of the way! I would add, trust only so much, but I am jaded.

In the end, she may never like shooting. That's when the "me time" comes into play. By then, you wont worry as much.

Good luck
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Well spend some time learning how to make jewelry with her if that's what she likes. Maybe she would like to build a gun or at least customize one with paint. My little girls like their pink guns.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123