Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossfit...dont get it...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Really? You dug up an old thread just ask that?

lol get a life....or go do a crossfit workout, oh wait, you'd be back in 10mins....
    The post previous to mine was -5 hours... Try again?
    You're obviously too awesome to win 250k. So how about posting a video of your 10 minute murph? That's run a mile, 100 pull ups 200 pushups 300 squats and then run another mile.

I don't have anything against you but your authoritarian attitude is over the top... " I don't think crossfit should be for anyone..." Relax a little bit.

A few posts up is a story about SEALS and Marines using it. The latest issue of The Tactical Edge has a story on the Santa Monica SWAT team using it. There's a million ways to get fit, what's best for me might not be best for you. However if you're going to criticize, the juvenile approach lends no credibility.
    Last edited by Cascades236; 04-05-11 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascades236 View Post
    The post previous to mine was -5 hours... Try again?
    You're obviously too awesome to win 250k. So how about posting a video of your 10 minute murph? That's run a mile, 100 pull ups 200 pushups 300 squats and then run another mile.

I don't have anything against you but your authoritarian attitude is over the top... " I don't think crossfit should be for anyone..." Relax a little bit.

A few posts up is a story about SEALS and Marines using it. The latest issue of The Tactical Edge has a story on the Santa Monica SWAT team using it. There's a million ways to get fit, what's best for me might not be best for you. However if you're going to criticize, the juvenile approach lends no credibility.

Awesome. Its a fad, hopefully it will be gone in a few years...untill then, knock yourself out by doing it.

Btw i dont do "murphs" lol....again, i'm not looking to be 155lbs...lol. I prefer high intensity interval training for cardio, which i do SEPERATE from resistance training ( i prefer to get the most out of my time...i see no reason to compramise during workouts like CF does)
    Last edited by J-Dub; 04-07-11 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cody0341 View Post
    my problem with crossfit is that it mostly has to be done it groups. It seem that it is just another "fitness" fad that people will always look for. Everyone wants the magic pill. Lastly, I currently train in powerlifting and I see a lot of articles trying to relate crossfit to powerlifting. What ever happened to lifting heavy things and eating tons of food. Eat big, lift big, get big!!
    Crossfit is hard work...if somebody thinks it's a magic pill, they're delusional.
    As far as powerlifting, it's great...but not everyone want to be big. You can probably out lift me, but I bet I can out run you.

Feedback Score
    Awesome. Its a fad, hopefully it will be gone in a few years...untill then, knock yourself out by doing it.

Btw i dont do "murphs" lol....again, i'm not looking to be 155lbs...lol. I prefer high intensity interval training for cardio, which i do SEPERATE from resistance training ( i prefer to get the most out of my time...i see no reason to compramise during workouts like CF does)
    It's a "fad" that's been around since at least 2003? Why would you hope something that works very well for lots of people goes away? If your routine is so much better than CF why don't you post your stats like I did?
    BTW, I ran a 19:14 3 mile the other day for my PFT, and I can still back squat 365, and I weigh 180...a little more than your reported 155 pound Crossfitters (and stronger than most people who spend 2 hours in the gym everyday wasting their time).
    Go ahead, tell me my routine doesn't work and post your stats.

Feedback Score

back to the original query

What makes CrossFit work for most who participate is group dynamic. Good for those who decide to belong to this group versus the Marvin Milktoast group.

I belong to a CrossFit gym but only occasionally do I do their WODs. I do them when I want to crush the spirits of those 20 years my junior.
    I am a trainer (NASM; big deal) but am more fortunate to have worked with credible strength trainers like Mike Gittleson of U of Mich and Mark Twight of Gym Jones and at 46 I am fitter than when I was 26.

I have since built my own 'system' and run clinics nationally.

There are inherent dangers when doing CrossFit.
    1. Time is a discriminator which means exercises become herky jerky.2. Many of the exercises are subjective. 3. Doing kipping pullups until the skin tears from your hands is ummmm.....idiotic(?) 4. Hypertrophy is usually neglected 5. There is no even balance between Power Movements, Strength Training, Speed and Quickness and Muscular Development. 6. Working transverse plain of motion is usually neglected. 7. Eccentric and Concentric muscle spectrum motions usually neglected. 8. No neck work (it supports the command center) or finger work (limiting factor to all upper body strength)

My point is there are inherent dangers. There is plenty of anecdotal data to back this up. My objectives for working out are pretty simple; to be as fit as I can for as long as I can. Self preservation and longevity. If I am hurting myself while doing this, I am not using my head.

Good for CrossFitters though. They are happy and those that follow a strict format, are fit.
    Last edited by Mac1; 04-09-11 at 16:11.

Feedback Score
    This has been a pretty interesting thread to say the least. As an "on again/off again" crossfitter I can certainly see the benefits and detractions of the program. Some of my gripes include the absurdity of some of the work outs on the main page to the cult like belief in crossfit that I see sweeping through my profession. That said, I still benefit greatly when I take a break from weightlifting and transition into crossfit for a few months.

Overall crossfit works for me as a supplemental work out. I have no desire to be a power lifter or fit into skinny jeans (you know you die hard crossfitters are all about them.....and your faux hawks). Muscular endurance is the name of my game and I would rather hit a regular gym, work out by myself and call it a day than go to a "specialized" gym where I have to pay more to be herded into the group to participate in a glorified promo video with some clown yelling at me. To old for that nonsense and am able to motivate myself.

Just my 2 pesos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charger02 View Post
    This has been a pretty interesting thread to say the least. As an "on again/off again" crossfitter I can certainly see the benefits and detractions of the program. Some of my gripes include the absurdity of some of the work outs on the main page to the cult like belief in crossfit that I see sweeping through my profession. That said, I still benefit greatly when I take a break from weightlifting and transition into crossfit for a few months.

Overall crossfit works for me as a supplemental work out. I have no desire to be a power lifter or fit into skinny jeans (you know you die hard crossfitters are all about them.....and your faux hawks). Muscular endurance is the name of my game and I would rather hit a regular gym, work out by myself and call it a day than go to a "specialized" gym where I have to pay more to be herded into the group to participate in a glorified promo video with some clown yelling at me. To old for that nonsense and am able to motivate myself.

Just my 2 pesos.
    Yeah a lot of people have transitioned away from the main page lately for various reasons, myself included.
    The gym issue it legit, I've been to some poor ones, but I've also been to some really really good ones. Just depends on the owner and the trainers.

As far as skinny jeans and faux hawks...not sure what that's about! Been Crossfitting for 3 1/2 years and have yet to see crossfitters wear either...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
    What makes CrossFit work for most who participate is group dynamic. Good for those who decide to belong to this group versus the Marvin Milktoast group.

I belong to a CrossFit gym but only occasionally do I do their WODs. I do them when I want to crush the spirits of those 20 years my junior.
    I am a trainer (NASM; big deal) but am more fortunate to have worked with credible strength trainers like Mike Gittleson of U of Mich and Mark Twight of Gym Jones and at 46 I am fitter than when I was 26.

I have since built my own 'system' and run clinics nationally.

There are inherent dangers when doing CrossFit.
    1. Time is a discriminator which means exercises become herky jerky.2. Many of the exercises are subjective. 3. Doing kipping pullups until the skin tears from your hands is ummmm.....idiotic(?) 4. Hypertrophy is usually neglected 5. There is no even balance between Power Movements, Strength Training, Speed and Quickness and Muscular Development. 6. Working transverse plain of motion is usually neglected. 7. Eccentric and Concentric muscle spectrum motions usually neglected. 8. No neck work (it supports the command center) or finger work (limiting factor to all upper body strength)

My point is there are inherent dangers. There is plenty of anecdotal data to back this up. My objectives for working out are pretty simple; to be as fit as I can for as long as I can. Self preservation and longevity. If I am hurting myself while doing this, I am not using my head.

Good for CrossFitters though. They are happy and those that follow a strict format, are fit.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Thank you.
    Lol, you crack me up. He comes on here, points out a few very valid flaws with the CF system (something you have yet to do) and he also states that those who follow it are fit...and you thank him? You say nobody should be doing it and it's an utter waste of time which is in contrast to his post, but you pretend that he agrees with you.

Oh yeah, and you completely ignore me even though I have given you plenty of evidence that CF can and does work for those willing to put in the effort.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    As far as skinny jeans and faux hawks...not sure what that's about! Been Crossfitting for 3 1/2 years and have yet to see crossfitters wear either...
    Relax man. I am in SoCal, skinny jeans are all the rage! I have a few die hard crossfit buddies who are all about having really low body fat and I bust their balls about fitting into skinny jeans.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast