Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started my own med kit and it got out of hand

Feedback Score

All of the comments are on the head re adv med treatment

I think I will remove the items in the pack that you have covered.

And, I will go back to the basics of field work.

The fundamentals of the initial question were (which I did not clarify):

What amount of the basic supplies should I carry?
    What are the most impt things to emphasize in a kit that I carry into the field when hunting, target practice, vacation, at home, in any situation to be honest?

The reason I ask this question is that Katrina left me in a bind to help a number of older adults and some younger individuals that were facing injuries and illnesses that I could not address with a bandaid or basics.

Again, I apologize for getting the thread onto the IV topic. However, you all have reinforced the idea that I was thinking beyond what I should have been thinking re my own skills and the issues involved.

I know the specifics listed above are still somewhat vague. I am under some time restraints because of where I am (mom's house) and I need to get home to my own computer to go into more detail.

As a newbie, and as someone that knew the ramifications of adv medical response, I am sorry that the initial thread was not more specific.

Thanks for the input, and if you have further suggestions as to what should and should not be included in a kit designed for everyday scapes to a gun shot in the woods, please advise

Thanks again,

William Pope

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    You need TWO or THREE kits...

One is large and home based, holding all the "have it if I need it" stuff, the second is the one you will grab and take with you with the basics to "attempt" to preserve life from whatever may come your way...

I keep a THIRD in my truck at all times with stuff I may need if I or others are in a serious vehicle accident...

When it comes to FA supplies, NOTHING is useless and nothing expires less some items (drugs/IV solutions, etc...), and even those can go far fast the printed expirations.

Rmpl
    I'm looking for a kit for my truck. What would you recomend?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberM4 View Post
    I'm looking for a kit for my truck. What would you recomend?
    I'd recommend a First Responder course. After you've done that, your equipment needs will be clear to you AND you'll have the advantage of knowing how to use it.

If you aren't trained and aren't going to be, get some scissors, gauze, vinyl gloves, and several rolls of kerlix and you'll be good to go up to the level of your ability.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I'd recommend a First Responder course. After you've done that, your equipment needs will be clear to you AND you'll have the advantage of knowing how to use it.

If you aren't trained and aren't going to be, get some scissors, gauze, vinyl gloves, and several rolls of kerlix and you'll be good to go up to the level of your ability.
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into a First Responder course or some extra first aid. I checked on an older thread here on kits. Should I buy a kit from one of those two? Or is there a better site with better prices?

Feedback Score
    If you are not certified to do these things, and just want stuff to control bleeding, some kerlex and ace bandages go a long way! Also, if you are concerned about airways, NPA's are a great simple tool. Other than that, if you don't know how or are otherwise not certified to use it, DON'T! Like Ninja medic has already clarified.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12