Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about billet uppers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Honest truth about billet uppers

The “honest truth about SS barrels” thread started me thinking about the claim that billet uppers improve accuracy.

I have not seen any evidence to support the claim and was wondering if anyone has any info that it’s true.

I guess I’m asking if there is any reason to get a billet upper over a standard forged upper.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

This is what I understand:

The aluminum used in a billet is not as strong as the aluminum in a forging.

To compensate for this weakness, a billet is beefed up in key areas which make them stiffer and stronger than a forging. This stiffness contributes to the billets accuracy. A beefed up billet is also it heavier than the forging.

Because a billet is beefed up, it does not have the same external "profile" as a forged part. Not having the same "profile" may prevent some attachments, aftermarket items, etc. from working; such as: BAD Levers, ambidextrous devices, etc.

So...the billet does have a good reputation at being more accurate at the expense of being heavier and not having mil-spec external dimensions.

This is all info you probably knew, if so...sorry.

Last edited by ucrt; 02-08-11 at 21:27. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    Because a billet is beefed up, it does not have the same external "profile" as a forged part. Not having the same "profile" may prevent some attachments, aftermarket items, etc. from working; such as: BAD Levers, ambidextrous devices, etc.
    Funny you should mention this. I just happened to be looking at a set of billet upper/lower today and noticed that I didn't think my Wilson Combat extended bolt release would fit due to a change in external profile. I guess I could live with that, but if I lost my ambi mag release, that would be a deal killer as a left handed shooter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ive yet to hear any honest truths in regards to a billet being more accurate than a forged one. Lets just assume the billet one is more accurate....how much more accurate exactly would a naked billet upper receiver be as a single component on a particular build over the forged upper receiver given it's machined to proper tight specs? My guess is not much if any at all, but then again I really don't have a dog in this fight since I only use mrp tops.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-08-11 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    how much more accurate exactly would a naked billet upper receiver be as a single component on a particular build over the forged upper receiver given it's machined to proper tight specs?
    I don't think there would be any single shot improved accuracy. But in theory a stiffer platform would result in tighter multi-shot groups due to less deflection from zero. This would be my unproven theory...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I certainly agree that the stiffness or as I call it rigidity in a platform is paramount to it's accuracy/precision..again, it's why I'm a mrp guy.

That said, so many more important factors will influence a precision build ahead of this particular naked upper receiver be it forged or billet like the barrel, the ammo, the shooter/trigger, etc. In less the billet upper receiver incorporates a totally different barrel hookup with more barrel extension captured... than it really cannot stiffen the platform that much more, if any at all imo.

eta...obviously if it incorporated a new barrel hookup that captured more barrel extension...it would need special barrels
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-08-11 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Pretty much what I thought. No conclusive evidence that billet uppers enhance accuracy in a meaningful or measurable way.

So why so popular. They are bigger, heaver and cost more, yet they seem to be a big deal right now. So do they bring any benefit over forged uppers?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was going through this very same debate while choosing parts for my new build. I dont see a billet being that much more accurate than a forged if it is at all. I ended up going with a forged. I couldnt get myself to pay in most cases 3 times more for a billet receiver.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    +1

I went with a matched forged set for this very reason. I want to use a BAD lever. The reason I didn't buy a Larue upper/lower was, in part, related to the ability to mount such parts.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The “honest truth about SS barrels” thread started me thinking about the claim that billet uppers improve accuracy.
    Stiffness improves accuracy.

Example: VLTOR VIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast