Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about billet uppers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Honest truth about billet uppers

The “honest truth about SS barrels” thread started me thinking about the claim that billet uppers improve accuracy.

I have not seen any evidence to support the claim and was wondering if anyone has any info that it’s true.

I guess I’m asking if there is any reason to get a billet upper over a standard forged upper.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

This is what I understand:

The aluminum used in a billet is not as strong as the aluminum in a forging.

To compensate for this weakness, a billet is beefed up in key areas which make them stiffer and stronger than a forging. This stiffness contributes to the billets accuracy. A beefed up billet is also it heavier than the forging.

Because a billet is beefed up, it does not have the same external "profile" as a forged part. Not having the same "profile" may prevent some attachments, aftermarket items, etc. from working; such as: BAD Levers, ambidextrous devices, etc.

So...the billet does have a good reputation at being more accurate at the expense of being heavier and not having mil-spec external dimensions.

This is all info you probably knew, if so...sorry.

Last edited by ucrt; 02-08-11 at 21:27. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    Because a billet is beefed up, it does not have the same external "profile" as a forged part. Not having the same "profile" may prevent some attachments, aftermarket items, etc. from working; such as: BAD Levers, ambidextrous devices, etc.
    Funny you should mention this. I just happened to be looking at a set of billet upper/lower today and noticed that I didn't think my Wilson Combat extended bolt release would fit due to a change in external profile. I guess I could live with that, but if I lost my ambi mag release, that would be a deal killer as a left handed shooter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ive yet to hear any honest truths in regards to a billet being more accurate than a forged one. Lets just assume the billet one is more accurate....how much more accurate exactly would a naked billet upper receiver be as a single component on a particular build over the forged upper receiver given it's machined to proper tight specs? My guess is not much if any at all, but then again I really don't have a dog in this fight since I only use mrp tops.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-08-11 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was going through this very same debate while choosing parts for my new build. I dont see a billet being that much more accurate than a forged if it is at all. I ended up going with a forged. I couldnt get myself to pay in most cases 3 times more for a billet receiver.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    +1

I went with a matched forged set for this very reason. I want to use a BAD lever. The reason I didn't buy a Larue upper/lower was, in part, related to the ability to mount such parts.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    how much more accurate exactly would a naked billet upper receiver be as a single component on a particular build over the forged upper receiver given it's machined to proper tight specs?
    I don't think there would be any single shot improved accuracy. But in theory a stiffer platform would result in tighter multi-shot groups due to less deflection from zero. This would be my unproven theory...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I certainly agree that the stiffness or as I call it rigidity in a platform is paramount to it's accuracy/precision..again, it's why I'm a mrp guy.

That said, so many more important factors will influence a precision build ahead of this particular naked upper receiver be it forged or billet like the barrel, the ammo, the shooter/trigger, etc. In less the billet upper receiver incorporates a totally different barrel hookup with more barrel extension captured... than it really cannot stiffen the platform that much more, if any at all imo.

eta...obviously if it incorporated a new barrel hookup that captured more barrel extension...it would need special barrels
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-08-11 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Pretty much what I thought. No conclusive evidence that billet uppers enhance accuracy in a meaningful or measurable way.

So why so popular. They are bigger, heaver and cost more, yet they seem to be a big deal right now. So do they bring any benefit over forged uppers?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Pretty much what I thought. No conclusive evidence that billet uppers enhance accuracy in a meaningful or measurable way.

So why so popular. They are bigger, heaver and cost more, yet they seem to be a big deal right now. So do they bring any benefit over forged uppers?
    A lot of people like the looks of them. Billet is milled and they can mill different designs can easily be milled into them. But again all of that is also what makes them more expensive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast