Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about billet uppers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but i remember Wes Grant talking over at TOS about how milled uppers were "straighter" more consistently than their forged brethren. He used it just like that, putting straighter in quotations and not really delving further into exactly what it meant, but i'd take it milled uppers have more consistent tolerances upper to upper (At least, LaRue and VLTOR uppers do, which are the two he uses.).

I figure, if someone knows something about accurate ARs, it's him.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thujone View Post
    Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but i remember Wes Grant talking over at TOS about how milled uppers were "straighter" more consistently than their forged brethren. He used it just like that, putting straighter in quotations and not really delving further into exactly what it meant, but i'd take it milled uppers have more consistent tolerances upper to upper (At least, LaRue and VLTOR uppers do, which are the two he uses.).

Uppers, yes. Lowers, no. There's nothing about the lower that contributes to the inherent accuracy of the upper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As I understand it, the stress relief involved in the forging process makes for a stronger upper given the same amount of aluminum. I guess I'd always think that a billet upper or lower was a cosmetic choice, not a functional one.

If I thought rigidity were something important that my skills could take advantage of, I'd get a VLTOR MUR with or without a VLTOR VIS long before I'd go with a billet upper.

/
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-09-11 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
    A lot of people like the looks of them. Billet is milled and they can mill different designs can easily be milled into them. But again all of that is also what makes them more expensive.
    DING...I put my money on this almost exclusively being the deciding factor for why somebody buys a billet.

I want a dimpled barreled billet upper receiver

Feedback Score

The problem I have with that, is even raw forgings, have to be milled to their finish specs, if the CNC program is correct, and the equipment doing it is in good order, how could a billet be straighter than a forged unit?
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-09-11 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    Plenty of 'run of the mill" and "off the shelf" upper receivers are built and shot to .5 MOA (and better). I'd LOVE to see a measurable difference by someone who claims a billet upper receiver is producing better accuracy. I'm staying away from this kool-aid for now.
    www.mk12.net - Mk12 Mod 0/1 Special Purpose Rifle - Info, pictures, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    The problem I have with that, is even raw forgings, have to be milled to their finish specs, if the CNC program is correct, and the equipment doing it is in good order, how could a billet be straighter than a forged unit?
    VLTOR are forged (Per their site.), so i was wrong in my statement.

Looking for the exact quotes, but i suspect that it's dependent on the manufacturer holding unit to unit tolerances and VLTOR and LT happen to do it much better than most, even though VLTOR is forged and LT is billet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    DING...I put my money on this almost exclusively being the deciding factor for why somebody buys a billet.

I want a dimpled barreled billet upper receiver
    Its crazy what people will do for looks.. And I cant say it hasnt crossed my mind before. But my thought is save some money and get a forged and take the money you saved and put it into a better optic or other quality parts.

Feedback Score
    VLTOR are forged (Per their site.), so i was wrong in my statement.

Looking for the exact quotes, but i suspect that it's dependent on the manufacturer holding unit to unit tolerances and VLTOR and LT happen to do it much better than most, even though VLTOR is forged and LT is billet.
    True, but if its milspec than it HAS to be to the specs, so any top tier manufacturer would be good to go, now bets are off once you drop down to second or third tier, thus the reason they are there in the first place.

ETA, like said in the SS barrel thread, you pay for quality.
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-10-11 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I think the honest truth is that the advantages are probably more theoretical than practical. There's probably no real "need" for them, but so long as they don't negatively affect function I don't have any beef with people using them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast