Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about billet uppers

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The “honest truth about SS barrels” thread started me thinking about the claim that billet uppers improve accuracy.
    Stiffness improves accuracy.

Example: VLTOR VIS

Feedback Score
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    For the WIN!

/thread closed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    For the WIN!

/thread closed
    How do you figure? Why would a VIS be any stiffer? The barrel still mounts at the front of the reciever via a nut on a threaded extension billet, cast or forged.
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-12-11 at 00:48.

Feedback Score
    The upper and lower receivers are cases. They neither detract nor add to the accuracy of an AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Tenth View Post
    The upper and lower receivers are cases. They neither detract nor add to the accuracy of an AR.
    The upper does, but is billet stronger or better? IMO no, actually if done to exact deminsions its weaker, thus billet is always bigger, therefore its not to milspec. Which also brings another question, are "matched" upper and lowers better? Again IMO no.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Which also brings another question, are "matched" upper and lowers better? Again IMO no.
    From a functional standpoint, I agree, but for example, a matched Noveske upper/lower is $275. A Noveske upper by itself is $135, a Noveske lower is $185.

I bought my last Noveske matched upper/lower for $250 (waiting on USPS to deliver another one to my FFL that I just bought for $275). They fit perfectly. I know, I know..."a little bit of play between upper and lower is no big deal and only a noob, tactical wannabe would complain about it". I completely agree that the wobble makes no difference in function, but generally, we all consider a lack of rattling in our consumer products to be a sign of quality. In the process of saving $45, I also can get the satisfaction of a nice precision fit.
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-12-11 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    From a functional standpoint, I agree, but for example, a matched Noveske upper/lower is $275. A Noveske upper by itself is $135, a Noveske lower is $185.

I bought my last Noveske matched upper/lower for $250 (waiting on USPS to deliver another one to my FFL that I just bought for $275). They fit perfectly. I know, I know..."a little bit of play between upper and lower is no big deal and only a noob, tactical wannabe would complain about it". I completely agree that the wobble makes no difference in function, but generally, we all consider a lack of rattling in our consumer products to be a sign of quality. In the process of saving $45, I also can get the satisfaction of a nice precision fit.
    Agreed! If you shop around or know what your doing, you can save, problem is, most people have no clue, and resalers know it, so they will actually raise the cost. I have noticed, if you stay with tier one manufacturers, who actually follow milspec, there is so little movement between uppers and lowers anyway. Jeese a friend of mine just got a new LMT and there is no rattle or wiggle, it almost feels like it has a wedge in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    The upper does...
    Does what? Affect accuracy?
    In all my shooting, testing and reading I have yet to see this in function. Near as I can tell it is barrel and bolt.
    Where and how has it been shown that an upper receiver will affect the accuracy of the system of components?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Tenth View Post
    Does what? Affect accuracy?
    In all my shooting, testing and reading I have yet to see this in function. Near as I can tell it is barrel and bolt.
    Where and how has it been shown that an upper receiver will affect the accuracy of the system of components?
    What does the barrel attach to? The upper, if the upper is out of whack, that will effect accuracy. What happens if the upper is flexing? What it its not on but off a little?
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-13-11 at 12:45.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast