Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ 527 Carbine

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Seraph, you must have read my mind. I walked into my favorite gun shop today to shoot some bull with the guys. My salesman friend showed me the 527 in .223 and 7.62x39. It is so neat. Lightweight, real wood, smooth action, compact and stupidly light set trigger.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on one. The question is, which caliber? I already have a house full of .223 ammo, but don't have a single round of 7.62x39. I know that the chicom ammo is cheap, is it accurate?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    If you can live with a small bolt knob and controlled round feeding, it's a great little rifle. I have the 7.62x39 and it is very accurate at 100-150m ( as far as I have tried, so far) with a VXII 2-7x. It's light but also soft-shooting.

Get one!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Seraph, you must have read my mind. I walked into my favorite gun shop today to shoot some bull with the guys. My salesman friend showed me the 527 in .223 and 7.62x39. It is so neat. Lightweight, real wood, smooth action, compact and stupidly light set trigger.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on one. The question is, which caliber? I already have a house full of .223 ammo, but don't have a single round of 7.62x39. I know that the chicom ammo is cheap, is it accurate?
    Expect 1 MOA or less with properly worked up handloads. With Wolf the average seems to be somewhere around 1.5 to 2 MOA with some shooting better and some worse. Some guns will need a extra power firing pin spring to shoot Wolf or surplus, I've heard CZ will send it to you for free if you call. If I could ever find one that would consistently shoot MOA I'd buy it and a couple cases of ammo and be set on hogs and deer for life.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the excellent replies, gentlemen. It happens that I'm looking more at the 7.62x39 carbine. I've sold all my AK's, but still have some 7.62x39 ammo, so, you know... I HAVE to buy a rifle to shoot that ammo.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wesprt View Post
    With Wolf the average seems to be somewhere around 1.5 to 2 MOA with some shooting better and some worse.

My 7.62x39 also shot sub-2" groups at 100 yards with Wolf using a 2.5X Weaver (El Paso) scope! I never realized that Wolf could be so accurate.

It was one of those guns that you just had to own after picking it up at the shop. So light and handy, it's amazing. The mini-Mauser action was slick, and the recoil was very mild. You just wanted to get in the woods just so you could carry it.

I eventually sold my 527, because I couldn't get it to "fill a niche" in my collection. It's a bit on the weaker side for medium game, not really a target rifle, and not the best as a defensive carbine. It was just a curios plinker. Even at that, the regular trigger was awful... spongy and heavy while the set trigger was stupidly light... probably about 1 lb. The cheek weld was designed for the iron sights, so glass sat uncomfortably high, and due to the integral 16mm dovetail, ring selection was sparse.

In retrospect, had I spent a few bucks to remedy the shortcomings, it would have been a great little carbine. Timney makes an aftermarket trigger that's no doubt fantastic. And the stock could have been easily replaced. But at the time, I wanted another CMP M1 Garand and the 7.62x39 was an easy sacrifice.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Did you use those high mounts to allow the scope to clear the iron sights? Could it be mounted lower?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As long as we are on CZ pics, here is my .223 with a Zeiss 4x scope, Talley rings, aperture sights and a Brockman laminate stock:

I used to have a 7.62x39 CZ, with a forward mounted Aimpoint, aperture sights and a number of neat mods that was a great shooter. Will need to look for a photo of that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And, "Scoutski"

Feedback Score
    I like mine in 7.62x39, it is accurate enough, and handles nice. I would like it if they made it in .308.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Did you use those high mounts to allow the scope to clear the iron sights? Could it be mounted lower?
    Yeah, it was a case of buying rings before the scope. I think I bought medium height rings so the front bell would stay above the rear irons. But, I ended up buying a scope without a front bell.

Either way, the comb of the stock slopes down and is better suited for irons than glass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast