Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubb-1 View Post
    ...Possibly the wrong venue (preaching to the choir), but good thread.
    Sometimes it's a good idea to remind the choir what the actual lyrics are to a song that they may have sung (and possibly butchered) a thousand times already!!

This thread should be a sticky!!
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    Sometimes it's a good idea to remind the choir what the actual lyrics are to a song that they may have sung (and possibly butchered) a thousand times already!!

This thread should be a sticky!!

Instead of making it a sticky I've installed a link to it in the FAQ/Knowledge base thread of the AR Technical forum.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Regarding the 5.56 chamber reamer and chrome lined barrels...

Aren't you cutting through the chrome?

Pete
    CO Springs, CO
    NFA Manufacturer
    FFL-07 & SOT

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
    Regarding the 5.56 chamber reamer and chrome lined barrels...

Aren't you cutting through the chrome?

Pete
    Yes, but so does about 2-5K rounds. Chrome bumpers and chrome chambers aren't the same, your chamber doesn't suddenly start peeling chrome when its worn away or cut with the reamer.

Feedback Score
    If 2-5k wears through the chrome then why even bother with it?
    I wasn't picturing peeling, but increased erosion at the cut sight
    CO Springs, CO
    NFA Manufacturer
    FFL-07 & SOT

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
    If 2-5k wears through the chrome then why even bother with it?
    I wasn't picturing peeling, but increased erosion at the cut sight
    Like I said it's really only need for problematic rifles. One's that pop primers into your lower or worse or ones with back extraction problems that can't be fixed otherwise. The reamer is on the large end of the NATO neck and throat.

And this is why Ned designed it:

From Neds web site http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php:

"What about chromed chambers? The good news is that in our experience, Colt AR15 chrome-lined barrels have a proper 5.56 chamber. I would consider any others to be suspect. The reamer has been subjected to a secondary heat-treating process, titanium carbo-nitride, which makes it capable of correcting under-spec chromed chambers. Obviously it will do fewer of them, and I can't say what the numbers would be as I have not had to ream that many chromed ones yet. Will removing the chrome be a problem? No. Plenty of AR's don't have chromed bores and chamber and they work fine. I've sectioned some chromed barrels and the chrome doesn't last long in the throat area anyway. Removing chrome in the chamber won't cause the area to peel like bumper chrome."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    From Neds web site http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php:

" I've sectioned some chromed barrels and the chrome doesn't last long in the throat area anyway. "
    Interesting.
    Thanks

Pete
    CO Springs, CO
    NFA Manufacturer
    FFL-07 & SOT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great thread. My AR is in no way going to be my "lifesaver", more or less she's a plinker with intentions of getting into 3 Gun type shooting. I bought all of the lower parts and assembled them and then purchased a complete upper. For sure this is my learning rifle. The plans to build a new "higher quality" one are already in the works.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    To be honest, this thread is kind of confusing. One minute you guys are saying that just about every AR manufactor except Colt, FNH, and LMT suck ass. Now you are telling us that they don't really suck ass, especially if it is just a range toy. If you had just posted this pretty obvious information with your chart that you made up, then it would have made more sense. Now you just pointed what most guys already know and have been telling you all along.

I just can't wait for my piece of crap Bushmaster to crap out on me so I can buy a real one. The ****er has nearly 20,000 rounds and no problems yet.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    To be honest, this thread is kind of confusing. One minute you guys are saying that just about every AR manufactor except Colt, FNH, and LMT suck ass. Now you are telling us that they don't really suck ass, especially if it is just a range toy. If you had just posted this pretty obvious information with your chart that you made up, then it would have made more sense. Now you just pointed what most guys already know and have been telling you all along.

I just can't wait for my piece of crap Bushmaster to crap out on me so I can buy a real one. The ****er has nearly 20,000 rounds and no problems yet.
    The info was put out there to show the differences between the brands. Many are sold a bill of goods (Oly/Bushmaster etc) and told that they're 'just as good' and believe me 'they ain't'. You need to look at your need and see if you need a top quality AR, if you don't then you can be served well by a lesser quality one. But don't for one minute think that a new 'Oly' is 'as good as a new Colt' quality wise.

Some people buy/build an AR and shoot 100 rounds per year, some like me shoot 10-15K+ rounds per year. Each of us will be best served by different qualities of ARs/parts (a person who owns an AR should know the difference).

If you're in the 100 rounds per year shooters don't go broke replacing parts that will serve you fine, just wait until it breaks and then replace the broken part with a known quality part.

If you're going to a training course then you really should upgrade to top quality parts and make sure it's properly assembled. You don't want to be 'that guy' holding up the class. Do the favor for your classmates, they've paid good hard earned money to be there and nothing more is annoying then being held up by 'that guy' who brings a crap gun that goes down constantly throughout the class. They're there to learn, not watch 'that guy' un-F*** his AR.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast