Thread: Cobra Hinges

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cobra Hinges

A question for those with more experience. I just got my VTAC Brokos belt and Cobra riggers belt. Awesome setup by the way, go get one.

However my question is about the cobra hinge itself. While it is convenient as hell for the brokos belt or wearing around in country, a riggers belt to me is really for tying yourself into a goddamn helicopter, and the cobra hinge does not inspire confidence that it would hold on to me if I were dangling around like an idiot (worst case).

Thoughts/experience?

EDIT - Wow, definitely thought I was in the gear forum, sorry. Please move.
    Last edited by J8127; 02-10-11 at 23:17. Reason: I'm stupid.

Feedback Score
    http://www.austrialpin.net/products/cobra/specs.asp

Have no fear.

Even if a 200lb man attached to a helicopter by enough steel cable for him to reach terminal velocity before reaching the end of the cable fell out of that helicopter, he would generate 9.7kN, which is well below the 18kN rating of the weakest Cobra buckles.

You aren't using that much rope, so you'll never reach terminal velocity. You also aren't using steel cable, so your deceleration at the end of your fall will be much less. Both of these mean you will never break an individually tested and rated Cobra buckle falling out of a helicopter in normal conditions.
    Last edited by Whootsinator; 02-11-11 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The Army's Air Warrior System uses Cobra Buckles on the load bearing closures and the leg straps. I have hoisted in and out of Aircraft with 200lbs adults hanging off me with no worries. They will hold up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not only is every cobra, even the 24mm models, rated for shock loads well in excess of what your body weight could apply to them, but they will NOT release under tension. I've rappelled with a couple cobra belts more times than I can count and I have NEVER had a single issue with them accidentally releasing. Even if one lock is accidentally released, it's still not letting you go.

If you're concerned about accidental releases, you can rig up a simple redundant system with another V-Ring as is pictured below. I got a 1.75" V-Ring from Para Gear USA and put it on my 215 Gear Ultimate Riggers Belt, mimicking a CTOMS M-Harness for a lot less money:

Simply put, they're good to go. You have nothing to worry about.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    thank you all for the feedback

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whootsinator View Post
    http://www.austrialpin.net/products/cobra/specs.asp

Have no fear.

Even if a 200lb man attached to a helicopter by enough steel cable for him to reach terminal velocity before reaching the end of the cable fell out of that helicopter, he would generate 9.7kN, which is well below the 18kN rating of the weakest Cobra buckles.

You aren't using that much rope, so you'll never reach terminal velocity. You also aren't using steel cable, so you're deceleration at the end of your fall will be much less. Both of these mean you will never break an individually tested and rated Cobra buckle falling out of a helicopter in normal conditions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While we're on the subject, look into 215 Gear's Retention Lanyards if you're in the market:

http://215gearstore.com/retentionlanyards-2.aspx