Thread: Slabside receivers for civilian ARs in 1988?

Feedback Score

Slabside receivers for civilian ARs in 1988?

Back in 1988 I bought my first civilian AR. It was a green label R6600 AR-15 A2 HBAR; ribbed handguards, bayonet lug, etc. First thing I noticed was the slabside receiver with no mag release fence.

Now I went in basic training at Fort Knox back in 1978 and the M16 I used then was with the triangle handguards, but had the mag release fence on the receiver. So why was Colt still selling slabside receivers on civilian models as late as 1988? Did they have a huge stock pile of these receivers that they were trying to unload?

Regards,
    OH58D
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't think Colt went to the fenced reciever on Civi guns till the 90's.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I don't think Colt went to the fenced reciever on Civi guns till the 90's.
    So what's the thinking....were they using up old stock of receivers without the mag release fence?

OH58D
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    So what's the thinking....were they using up old stock of receivers without the mag release fence?

OH58D

No.

The slabside on a 601/602 and a semi auto slabside are different forgings.

The semi auto slabside was used due to the large pin and non sear cut upper, to hinder an illegal full auto conversion
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    No.

The slabside on a 601/602 and a semi auto slabside are different forgings.

The semi auto slabside was used due to the large pin and non sear cut upper, to hinder an illegal full auto conversion
    Different fogings? Hmmm, what about nowadays? Take the LE6921 and the M4 for example, are they made at the same plant? Different forgings? They still mill off the trigger stops as I can only guess there logic "they serve no function on a semi" but damn they'd be nice to have, do these start off as one and then half way throu or so the m4's are sent right and ours left? Or at the other end of the plant? Sorry to steal your thread if I did, just thought it fit here too : )

James

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by schaz42 View Post
    Different fogings? Hmmm, what about nowadays? Take the LE6921 and the M4 for example, are they made at the same plant? Different forgings? They still mill off the trigger stops as I can only guess there logic "they serve no function on a semi" but damn they'd be nice to have, do these start off as one and then half way throu or so the m4's are sent right and ours left? Or at the other end of the plant? Sorry to steal your thread if I did, just thought it fit here too : )

James

A 601 lower has different contours under the front takedown lug than a slabside semi lower.

Modern forgings are used across the board for current Colt production.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm