Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car 15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtb0311 View Post
    "CAR-15" means a lot of different things to different people. To build a replica like that in the picture, you'll need to go the SBR route and do paperwork and get a tax stamp from BATFE. An alternate is to build a clone with a slightly longer barrel, which, when matched with a repro flash hider, looks very similar to a 11.5" bbl length Colt 629/XM-177E2:

What barrel length did you use on this? Also where did you get the flash hider? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    The carbine pictured in the photo is an Air Force GAU-5. There has never been a "CAR-15".
    Actually, there were several weapons referred to and/or designated as "CAR-15". Colt had a "CAR-15" program, and it is in some of their literature from the period. I have a few old catalogs around here, but the easiest way to check on it is in "The Black Rifle".

The terminology is used in many noted publications also.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
    Actually, there were several weapons referred to and/or designated as "CAR-15". Colt had a "CAR-15" program, and it is in some of their literature from the period. I have a few old catalogs around here, but the easiest way to check on it is in "The Black Rifle".

The terminology is used in many noted publications also.

He already knows that.

1. CAR-15 (Colt AR-15) as it refers to the first dozen or so AR-15 models 603 to 614 isn't the same as this thread.

2. CAR-15 (Carbine AR-15) is jargon/slang used to talk about carbine length guns which is what this thread is about.

3. CAR-15 was also used at one time to mean Colt Automatic Rifle - 15 for the heavy barreled suppressive fire models (606, 741, 750)

When you hear "CAR-15", 99% of the time people are talking about #2. Only a very seasoned AR-15 person would know about #1 and #3.
    Last edited by scottryan; 02-19-11 at 14:14.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Ok. Didn't seem so based on this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    There has never been a "CAR-15".
    "After trials with a few one-off 'what if?' models, Colt's fociused on seven basic versions of the M16: the standard M16 rifle, both as issued and also fitted with a Colt-developed 40mm greandade launcer attachment; a carbine with a 15" barrel; two heavy-barrel bipod-supported 'M-1' (clip fed) and 'M-2' (belt fed) heavy assault rifles; a submachine gun with a 10" barrel and collapsible stock; and a no frills survival rifle."

That was prior to the term "CAR" being used as somewhat of a generic term to reference carbine or sub-machinegun versions as you stated, which I might add was the direct result of Colt
    "inventing" the term to begin with.
    Last edited by Coleslaw; 02-19-11 at 16:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    What barrel length did you use on this? Also where did you get the flash hider? Thanks.
    The barrel is a Bushmaster LW 16", and I got the pseudo moderator/grenade ring from a guy on TOS called 45Bravo. He cut and threaded the barrel to about 14.5 and slipped the moderator over the muzzle, then pinned it. The barrel actually ends just about 1.5" from the muzzle, and the OAL is 16.1".

These days I'd go with a pseudo moderator from a guy called Brick - he sells on GB and other places, then send it to ADCO with instructions. I've heard the turn around with them is about a week, as opposed to a year or more with the route I chose.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about getting one of the "brick" moderators and a mid length DD barrel and have it cut down and threaded with a pinned/welded moderator. The point being that middy hanguards would go almost to the moderator looking more like a 629 without the SBR hasle.

Feedback Score
    I should add that I have no idea if a 12.5" middy with a 4.5" (one inch ovelaping on threads) fake moderator will cycle on a CAR buffer assy.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Slick Side A1 Upper, they have stocks, pistol grips and A1 uppers with Forward Assist too.

I just put one of these together and don't really need another but I really like the simplicity of this upper. Hell for $110 it's the price of a good BUIS!

http://www.jsesurplus.com/militarysu...variation=2133

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Dam those slick sides musta gone quick.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    Dam those slick sides musta gone quick.
    http://www.jsesurplus.com/militarysu...specifics.aspx

I just checked and it said there are still 15 left.

The last link was no good.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 04-18-11 at 20:27.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast