Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esbit Stove

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Esbit Stove

I was in a Military Surplus store yesterday for the first time and felt a need to buy something. The MultiCam gear was out of my budget, but I found an esbit stove for cheap so I decided to pick it up.

What do you guys think of yours?

Can I use trioxane fuel bars with it?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You can use whatever, but I have read hexamine burns hotter than trioxane.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've carried an Esbit stove in my field gear since the early 90s. I don't leave home without it. I have used the issue Trioxane bars, but prefer Hexamine due to how hot it gets. Any solid fuel will work.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yeah, I mean it was such a small package, compared to my Jetboil Helios, and a great price, that I couldn't pass it up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    Yeah, I mean it was such a small package, compared to my Jetboil Helios, and a great price, that I couldn't pass it up.
    You haven't made a bad purchase IMHO. It's one of the handiest pieces of kit I've ever owned.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post
    You haven't made a bad purchase IMHO. It's one of the handiest pieces of kit I've ever owned.
    What kind of boil times can I expect with the hexamine vs the trioxane? I know pot material makes a difference so if you have experience with a certain one I would appreciate that, too.

I'm thinking about purchasing a smaller pot to go along with this stove. Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What kind of boil times can I expect with the hexamine vs the trioxane? I know pot material makes a difference so if you have experience with a certain one I would appreciate that, too.

I'm thinking about purchasing a smaller pot to go along with this stove. Recommendations?
    As far as pots go I have no recommendations. I've always used an Army issue canteen cup. While I don't recall a specific time frame for bringing water to boil, I do know that it was always faster with the hexamine and I typically used only a half of block. With the Trioxane I always had to use the whole bar and sometimes 2 depending on how old it was.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post
    As far as pots go I have no recommendations. I've always used an Army issue canteen cup. While I don't recall a specific time frame for bringing water to boil, I do know that it was always faster with the hexamine and I typically used only a half of block. With the Trioxane I always had to use the whole bar and sometimes 2 depending on how old it was.
    Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can break it in over spring break

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have some fun and make your own. Start by sorting thru these videos to get ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...oking+pot&aq=f

What are you using this setup for again?

If you don't have a US mil canteen, I don't see a need to use a canteen cup. Much more effective to get a round pot. Don't be afraid to go big either. You can go lightweight and big, and it will be more useful than just a cup.

You can start by making your own billy can and use it to store your stove and food in.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Have some fun and make your own. Start by sorting thru these videos to get ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...oking+pot&aq=f

What are you using this setup for again?

If you don't have a US mil canteen, I don't see a need to use a canteen cup. Much more effective to get a round pot. Don't be afraid to go big either. You can go lightweight and big, and it will be more useful than just a cup.

You can start by making your own billy can and use it to store your stove and food in.
    This will be for my (ultra)light/BOB setup. I'm actually considering stuffing it inside the Jetboil Flash Companion Cup. I'm trying to stay away from the large pots, as I currently have a 2-liter pot with my Helios and it takes up so much room in my pack. I like how it is tall and skinny, and it'll pack inside water bottle holsters.

Great vids, I'll definitely stay busy with those.
    Last edited by Travis B; 02-15-11 at 23:20. Reason: Grammar Nazi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast