Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Esbit Stove

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you are looking at cups/pots, I would suggest something with a cover as it seems to help keep the heat in so it boils faster.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    If you are looking at cups/pots, I would suggest something with a cover as it seems to help keep the heat in so it boils faster.
    The Jetboil cup has a lid so it seems to be a good candidate.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    A little trick I learned on another website for getting the hexamine tabs started easier. Use a knife and score the top. Make small shavings before trying to light it. Works far easier trying to get the thing started by lighting the shavings and letting them start the tab rather than trying to light the thing at once.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    A little trick I learned on another website for getting the hexamine tabs started easier. Use a knife and score the top. Make small shavings before trying to light it. Works far easier trying to get the thing started by lighting the shavings and letting them start the tab rather than trying to light the thing at once.
    Great idea. Thanks!

Do you just light it with a match, etc?

How would a flint work?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    Great idea. Thanks!

Do you just light it with a match, etc?

How would a flint work?
    I used a torch type lighter, but the principle is to light the shavings first and a match would work okay. Esbits can be hard to light under the best of circumstances but this tends to make it easier. The hardest part of lighting one is keeping it out of the wind until it gets lit.

For a more windproof design on the standard Esbit stoves, try looking at some aluminum flashing (like you find at the hardware store) and form a windscreen around the open sides of the stove. Some folks even use regular aluminum foil, but the sturdiness of same might not work that well.

As for a flint and steel, I wouldn't think that would be the best option. Maybe something like a Blast Match or a magnesium bar would work, but I've never tried it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Maybe something like a Blast Match or a magnesium bar would work, but I've never tried it.
    I wasn't smart enough to think of shaving some of it like one of the previous posters did. But a Blast Match will not light one straight out of the package. Seeing how they can be a PIA to get lit I tested it out and could not get it going.

On the subject of Blast Matches they would really be awesome if they could 1) slow the burn rate down, and 2) keep burning the wooden part instead of going right out once the compound has burned off.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I used a torch type lighter, but the principle is to light the shavings first and a match would work okay. Esbits can be hard to light under the best of circumstances but this tends to make it easier. The hardest part of lighting one is keeping it out of the wind until it gets lit.

For a more windproof design on the standard Esbit stoves, try looking at some aluminum flashing (like you find at the hardware store) and form a windscreen around the open sides of the stove. Some folks even use regular aluminum foil, but the sturdiness of same might not work that well.

As for a flint and steel, I wouldn't think that would be the best option. Maybe something like a Blast Match or a magnesium bar would work, but I've never tried it.
    I've seen the aluminum flashing mod and am looking into doing that. I'll just keep a box of waterproof matches near the stove. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    While these are not pics of my stuff, this is the set up I have.

The stove fits inside the pot and then the Nalgene water bottle goes inside.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I've had an esbit for a few years now and love it. It is compact, simple, and lightweight. I've been using to Wally world porcelain coated camping coffee cups with it, one for food, one for coffee or tea. I can get water to boil in about 8 minutes. One tab will usually boil one cup of water and get the second pretty warm. I just picked up a stainless cup at BassProShops that fits on the bottom of a nalgene bottle. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the stove. Have fun with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12