Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal XM223SP1 62gr Bonded

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Based on the test I did this bullet expanded fairly well at 1900fps impact velocity. I got 2300+fps from an 11.5" barrel so if you assume a BC of .28 (that is conservative) this bullet would still expand to about 130 yards from an 11.5". Since it was going a little over 1900fps from a 7.5" it should be going around 2200 from a 10.5", meaning it would be going 1900fps right at 100 yards. Not bad for a 10.5"

From a 16" at 2700fps it drops to 1900fps at around 260 yards.
    Better than a sharp stick in the eye...

Nice writeup Altair!
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    With all the good info in this thread its really has got me thinking.

Cant decide on whether to go with this round or the speer .223
    Last edited by snackgunner; 06-06-11 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    With all the good info in this thread its really has got me thinking.

Cant decide on whether to go with this round or the speer .223
    I was in the same boat as you. I was looking for a round that would perform well out to 100 yds out of a 10.5" SBR. It was between the SPEER and the SP1 and I ended up going with the SP1 before this thread came into being....now thanks to Altair, I know I made a good decision

Bottom line, the cost will allow you to buy more of this than the SPEER, and according to Doc and these results, the terminal ballistics are very similar between the two.

You may have better velocity and accuracy with the SPEER, but I think the performance that Altair has shown has proven the round worthy for most,if not all, civvie applications...

Feedback Score
    They are the exactly the same...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I was in the same boat as you. I was looking for a round that would perform well out to 100 yds out of a 10.5" SBR. It was between the SPEER and the SP1 and I ended up going with the SP1 before this thread came into being....now thanks to Altair, I know I made a good decision

Bottom line, the cost will allow you to buy more of this than the SPEER, and according to Doc and these results, the terminal ballistics are very similar between the two.

You may have better velocity and accuracy with the SPEER, but I think the performance that Altair has shown has proven the round worthy for most,if not all, civvie applications...
    It's a good thing I tipped ya' off about this before buying the Speer at almost double the price...sucks because now it looks it's finally startin' to get alil' more scarse

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil1969SS>LS6 View Post
    It's a good thing I tipped ya' off about this before buying the Speer at almost double the price...sucks because now it looks it's finally startin' to get alil' more scarse
    Haha yessir...and thanks for tip #2

Feedback Score
    Being that this is a soft point is there an issue with fouling the feed ramps? There doesn't seem to be much lead exposed, but fouling has been an issue with other soft points.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfacade View Post
    Being that this is a soft point is there an issue with fouling the feed ramps? There doesn't seem to be much lead exposed, but fouling has been an issue with other soft points.
    Like you said, there isn't much lead exposed, so you may see some fouling, but not as fast as you would other rounds with more lead exposed...

I haven't shot this in bulk so what I am saying is in "theory", but with a quality weapon, you shouldn't see a problem.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 06-15-11 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The GD rifle bullets do not really have an exposed lead tip from a feeding perspective.

I have shot a limited amount of them and noticed no lead on the feedramps.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So, is this the same bullet loaded in the Federal Fusion 62gr F223FS1?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast