Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Federal XM223SP1 62gr Bonded

Feedback Score
    Provided good ammunition is used, at typical LE distances of 100 and in, from a terminal ballistic perspective, both a quality built SBR and 16" will provide adequate performance. Obviously at extended ranges, the 16" will be a better option. SBR's are certainly more convenient, especially getting in and out of vehicles and in tight spaces. SBR's do have more blast, flash, potentially reduced lifespan, and can be more temperamental in function--although the better quality ones run well. An SBR with a suppressor is about the same length as a 16" gun--this is a key fact. An ideal LE rifle is a quality built 11.5-12.5" AR15 run w/can; if that is not available, then a 16" gun makes a lot of sense as a general purpose rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Provided good ammunition is used, at typical LE distances of 100 and in, from a terminal ballistic perspective, both a quality built SBR and 16" will provide adequate performance. Obviously at extended ranges, the 16" will be a better option. SBR's are certainly more convenient, especially getting in and out of vehicles and in tight spaces. SBR's do have more blast, flash, potentially reduced lifespan, and can be more temperamental in function--although the better quality ones run well. An SBR with a suppressor is about the same length as a 16" gun--this is a key fact. An ideal LE rifle is a quality built 11.5-12.5" AR15 run w/can; if that is not available, then a 16" gun makes a lot of sense as a general purpose rifle.
    I do have and use a suppressor but I'm finding more and more that I like to leave it off and wear a set of quality electronic ear muffs. They allow me to still hear well but not have the extreme risk of permanent hearing damage (especially indoors) if an SBR is used while allowing me to maximize the maneuverability of the 11.5' SBR.

Of course, this is of little help to my partners if they are inside with me. Our SWAT team uses a set of electronic muffs that plug directly into their radios that accomplish this for the whole team but patrol guys have to supply their own and most do not.

I use the suppressor most frequently when I'm also using night vision.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    The plus side to an SBR indoors is that it acts like a mini-distraction device. Unfortunately, in addition to concussing nearby LE personnel, the noise can permanently damage the hearing of innocent bystanders, children, and hostages. In addition, after having an SBR go off in close proximity, commands and instructions may not be heard or comprehended correctly...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The plus side to an SBR indoors is that it acts like a mini-distraction device. Unfortunately, in addition to concussing nearby LE personnel, the noise can permanently damage the hearing of innocent bystanders, children, and hostages. In addition, after having an SBR go off in close proximity, commands and instructions may not be heard or comprehended correctly...
    I had considered the distraction device effect, but must confess I hadn't thought about the issue with verbal commands being comprehended.

The innocent bystander issue is certainly a problem with any scenario where they are present when shooting starts for plenty of reasons, potential hearing loss being just one.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    It is tough to comply when you can't hear...

Feedback Score
    Out today with the chronograph (mostly just enjoying the pleasant weather), and thought I would update for reference.

The 62 gr XM223SP1 averaged 2,719 fps ~9' from the PACT through an 18" SS Noveske SPR barrel. Temp was 45* F. Pleasantly surprised since it previously only ran 2,469 in the 14.5" CL at 56* F.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567