Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10 Picture Thread :)

Feedback Score
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 03-28-20 at 08:22.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Man oh man I wish I hadn’t seen this pic!! I have been playing around with the idea of doing a 7.62 SBR build for about 3 years. I like what I see! Have you done any kind of write up on it? On the specs and performance??

Send me some deets bro!!

Hope you and your fam are staying safe and healthy brother. It’s been a year + since since we posted on the same thread I think. Seems that way anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Man oh man I wish I hadn’t seen this pic!! I have been playing around with the idea of doing a 7.62 SBR build for about 3 years. I like what I see! Have you done any kind of write up on it? On the specs and performance??

Send me some deets bro!!

Hope you and your fam are staying safe and healthy brother. It’s been a year + since since we posted on the same thread I think. Seems that way anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bro, but with this being pin-and welded, it's not an SBR... just as close to one as I could build. I think is just about the perfect .308 AR. Of course, when I say that it's the "perfect .308 AR", I mean it's the perfect one... for me. I was looking to get into a .308 because I wanted the better terminal ballistics of the heavier round. What I didn't really need, was the increased range. This was to be a defensive combat carbine. As it was to be "defensive" in nature, it's not one I would need to reach out long distances, at least not in my area. (Indiana woodlands / farm country) I just wanted something with a bit more oomph than the 5.56, or should things go really bad, the ability to punch through cover better.

I did still want to keep it in as small, and light a package as I could. I like a patrol carbine, not a full on sniper rifle.

On the other hand, I've seen guys go way too far with the "smaller is better" theory too, building 10" .308 pistols that though probably very fun to play with, would pretty much cut the .308 off at the knees. I tried to make a decent compromise, and I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Receivers... Aero Precision with their LPK
    Barrel... BA Hanson 14" (now discontinued) with pin-and-welded Warcomp
    Rail system... Midwest Industries
    Scope... Primary Arms 1-8 with the ACSS reticle
    BUIS... Troy with tritium
    BCG... Lantac enhanced
    Recoil system... JP Captured
    Trigger... Geissele SSA-E
    Furniture... Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, MVG M-LOK
    Weaponlight... Surefire M300 Scout Light
    Leftover ambidextrous safety that I can't remember where I got...
    Leftover scope mount... same deal... just happened to work out well.

Anyway, the end result is that the rifle is a bit heavier than the typical AR (as expected being a .308) but still very easily carried as a patrol carbine. I lose some velocity, and power going down to 14", but not as much as going crazy, and doing the full on SBR 10" thing. It still packs a lot more punch than a 5.56. It's very controllable. Not sure if that's because I'm a big dude (6'1" 280) with 28 years of Army experience, or the very effective Warcomp (probably both) but I like it. I really like the ACSS reticle too, not that I'm really gonna need it for my purpose.

My original thought was to go with a 16" but the 14" was being discontinued,and was on sale. I figured I could put the savings toward the pin-and-weld, and have the package being that much smaller. Combined with the Black Friday sale, andmy military discount, I got a screaming deal, and the shorter barrel makes up for a larger receiver, so the rifle isn't really any longer than a 16" 5.56 AR, just heavier...

She shoots real well. I'm getting just over an inch so far for group sizes. The BA Hanson barrels are supposed to be guaranteed to be 1" barrels, so either I'm not doing my part, or I got a dud, but I'm so close to the mark I'm not gonna complain. Besides, it's probably me, and with everybody having that "every rifle has to shoot 1" groups" expectation these days, it's kinda crazy... Only had it out a few times so far anyway. Also it has a 1/10 twist, and I'm shooting light bullets, the heaviest being 168gr, so... It's very hard to find a .308 barrel in 1/12 or 1/11, especially a short one.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-04-20 at 09:25.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lower
    Aero M5 Lower Receiver
    Aero Lower Parts Kit - Trigger Assembly
    Geissele G2S Trigger
    BCM A5 Receiver Extension
    Armalite AR10 EA1095 Recoil Spring
    BCM H3 Buffer
    PWS Ratchet QD End Plate
    Magpul ACS Stock
    Blueforce Gear ULOOP
    Magpul K2+ Grip

Upper
    Aero M5 Upper Receiver
    Aero Upper Parts Kit
    Raptor LT 7.62 Charging Handle
    Aero M5 Phosphate Bolt Carrier
    Criterion Head Spaced Fulton Bolt
    Criterion 18", Nitrided, Hybrid .308 Barrel
    Surefire Warcomp 762
    SOLGW Low Profile Gas Block
    Spikes Nitrided Rifle Gas Tube
    CMT Tactical UPHR 15.0 Mod 2-HP Handguard
    ADM 20 MOA(6 MIL) Recon Scope Mount
    Weaver Tactical 3-15X50mm Scope With EMDR Reticle
    Butler Creek Scope Lens Covers
    Troy Folding Rear Battle Sight
    Troy Folding Front Battle Sight
    Magpul MLOK Bipod
    Magpul MLOK QD Mount
    Magpul RLS Sling

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I wanted the better terminal ballistics of the heavier round. What I didn't really need, was the increased range. This was to be a defensive combat carbine. As it was to be "defensive" in nature, it's not one I would need to reach out long distances, at least not in my area. (Indiana woodlands / farm country) I just wanted something with a bit more oomph than the 5.56, or should things go really bad, the ability to punch through cover better.

I did still want to keep it in as small, and light a package as I could. I like a patrol carbine, not a full on sniper rifle.

Anyway, the end result is that the rifle is a bit heavier than the typical AR (as expected being a .308) but still very easily carried as a patrol carbine. I lose some velocity, and power going down to 14", but not as much as going crazy, and doing the full on SBR 10" thing. It still packs a lot more punch than a 5.56. It's very controllable. Not sure if that's because I'm a big dude (6'1" 280) ... or the very effective Warcomp (probably both) but I like it.

... I'm shooting light bullets, the heaviest being 168gr...
    Are you shooting 110s, 125s, or 135s? You can get some of these going hella fast from a short barrel, but they get blown around on a windy day past 200.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post

Lower
    Aero M5 Lower Receiver
    Aero Lower Parts Kit - Trigger Assembly
    Geissele G2S Trigger
    BCM A5 Receiver Extension
    Armalite AR10 EA1095 Recoil Spring
    BCM H3 Buffer
    PWS Ratchet QD End Plate
    Magpul ACS Stock
    Blueforce Gear ULOOP
    Magpul K2+ Grip

Upper
    Aero M5 Upper Receiver
    Aero Upper Parts Kit
    Raptor LT 7.62 Charging Handle
    Aero M5 Phosphate Bolt Carrier
    Criterion Head Spaced Fulton Bolt
    Criterion 18", Nitrided, Hybrid .308 Barrel
    Surefire Warcomp 762
    SOLGW Low Profile Gas Block
    Spikes Nitrided Rifle Gas Tube
    CMT Tactical UPHR 15.0 Mod 2-HP Handguard
    ADM 20 MOA(6 MIL) Recon Scope Mount
    Weaver Tactical 3-15X50mm Scope With EMDR Reticle
    Butler Creek Scope Lens Covers
    Troy Folding Rear Battle Sight
    Troy Folding Front Battle Sight
    Magpul MLOK Bipod
    Magpul MLOK QD Mount
    Magpul RLS Sling
    That’s a really nice rig. Very similar to what a buddy of mine built. (16” Criterion barrel vs. your 18”) and he’s super happy with how it turned out, performance and accuracy wise.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    That’s a really nice rig. Very similar to what a buddy of mine built. (16” Criterion barrel vs. your 18”) and he’s super happy with how it turned out, performance and accuracy wise.
    Thanks, I have high hopes fir this rifle. I hope our ranges open soon.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast