Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower back strain from deadlifts - muscle strain or disk issue?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lower back strain from deadlifts - muscle strain or disk issue?

I hurt my lower back last November, while performing deadlifts. I assumed it was a simple muscle strain as I could move/bend in all directions without severe pain. I didn't have any numbness or pain in my legs or butt. I also noticed that when the muscle relaxed, I didn't feel any pain.

So, all signs point to a pulled muscle. No big deal, lay off for a while and heal. Well, I laid off longer than I intended, but some things came up that kept me from working out. Anyway, I lifted last night and it was my first leg night since I pulled the muscle. I felt a twinge of pain while doing squats, but pushed through (mistake). I did few sets of stiff leg and regular deadlifts and my back is hurting again today. I was lifting pretty light too since it was my first day back.

Is it normal for a simple muscle strain to hang around this long? Is there anything I can do to determine if this is a simple muscle strain, or something more severe?

I kind of hate to go to the doctor for a pulled muscle, but I can't believe it didn't heal in three months. This makes me wonder if perhaps it is something more.

FWIW - My back acted up in December after waxing my car, but I've been pain free other than that. Also, I'm not asking for a medical diagnosis, I just thought there might be a few people in here that have had lower back strains and could offer advice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am not a doctor, but...

referred pain generally MAY BE indicative of a nerve/disk issue.

Lack thereof can often mean something less serious, such as a ligament or muscular issue.

Ensure your glutes are strong and firing and there is no anterior pelvic tilt/tight hip flexors.

Register at http://monkeyisland.lylemcdonald.com and search for "glute amnesia" and read all the relevant threads. Do not post random/stupid threads without searching or you will be E-bitch-slapped.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not a Doc or a Chiro but; if the pain is still the same after a layoff and is there when you squat and deadlift I would go see one. Soft Tissue injuries can be slow to heal but the fact that it hurts doing exercises that use muscles in different ways would concern me. I would go see a Chiro and see what they think.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've had a herniated disc. Please go to the doctor. Do not do what i did, which was nothing, which made it worse and took longer to heal in the long run.

That was by far the most painful year i EVER want to live through.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep, +1 to all above...

Back problems are the worst to have as it effects EVERYTHING you do...

Go see a chiro... A good one is GREAT and will help a lot...

My issue was a disk alignment from an injury many years previously that eventually resulted in muscle spasms to protect the nerves. Extremely painful, had to sleep in a recliner for almost two weeks... A series of adjustments and I am at 95% or more...

Once a back is injured, it rarely goes back to 100% without serious work, of which I admit I often slack on... I am also much more CAREFUL in what I do, as I never want to go through that again...

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 02-16-11 at 09:22.
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    The secret to a strong, healthy back is a tight gut.
    Last edited by 120mm; 02-16-11 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    1. Go see a Dr.
    2. Stop doing deadlifts for a while. It could take a year even.
    3. Work on strengthening your abs and back (ab work and back extensions).
    4. Consider doing other leg lifts that work the back less/differently: Leg Press and Squats.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    The secret to a strong, healthy back is a tight gut.
    x2 + flexibility in hamstrings..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhgross View Post
    1. Go see a Dr.
    2. Stop doing deadlifts for a while. It could take a year even.
    3. Work on strengthening your abs and back (ab work and back extensions).
    4. Consider doing other leg lifts that work the back less/differently: Leg Press and Squats.
    I am pretty much allergic to back extensions.

As a recurrent back injury sufferer, I steer clear of them, and count on strong gut muscles and the strength exercises to stay injury/
    pain free.

I consider them a high risk exercise with relatively low pay off.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Really? I have a history of back problems in my family and I am low back pain free. I always work my lower back and abs. More recently I have started to work them on the same day as deadlifts. My body is not optimized for Deads, I am more built for squats (short legs long torso). Using Stuart McRobert's books as a guide, he recommends back extentions. For your reference, he is usually considered TOO conservative on lifting by most "experts" so if he says its good for most people it likely is. Everybody is different I suppose, so for you they may be not good, but for most people I wouldnt consider back extentions when done properly with good form and without hyperextending, a safe exercise.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast