Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jp-vtac or vtac trx extreme

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

jp-vtac or vtac trx extreme

Looking for advise on one of those hand guards for my precision AR.

It will be going on a bcm SS 18 inch barrel .

The only thing that will be mounted on it will be a bipod.

Thanks Scott

Feedback Score
    Might want to throw a front BUIS on there too.
    Last edited by Whootsinator; 02-16-11 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Are you gonna use a FSB or low pro gas block?

I say go for Troy's new 15in TRX Extreme if you're using a low pro gas block so it's completely covered.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going with a low pro gas block.

Feedback Score
    The TRX is light and sturdy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Accordingto Robb Jensen, the mounting screws on the JPs can shear off if put under stresses regurlarly experienced by "fighting" rifles. That is, weapons with various accessories on their FF tubes. While I doubt that this weapon is going to be torture tested extensively, I see no reason to not buy the apparently more robust Troy product. Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Accordingto Robb Jensen, the mounting screws on the JPs can shear off if put under stresses regurlarly experienced by "fighting" rifles. That is, weapons with various accessories on their FF tubes. While I doubt that this weapon is going to be torture tested extensively, I see no reason to not buy the apparently more robust Troy product. Just my two cents.
    Can is a crapastic modal verb. Can means he has never seen it happen. I have two JP CTR-02 rifles with the JP/VTAC hand guards that have been through more multi-gun matches than I can remember. They have both been re-barreled two times and I have never had a single problem with the hand guards. There are seven Grade 8 flat socket head caps screws that mount the tube to the barrel nut. Properly installed, you couldn't shear off one of them on a bet. Apparently will also bite you in the ass if your not careful.
    Last edited by MarkG; 02-16-11 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't ever recall saying the JP screws can/would shear off. But then again I have a friend that's broken an HK91 bolt carrier so nothing is impossible.

When using JP tubes for about 4 years I did have them loosen on me 4 times even when using blue and red Loc-Tite. I shoot a lot and have shot out 4 barrels in the last 5yrs. That last one I used Rocksett on the screws and that one never came lose. Loosen your 7 screws about 2 turns each I guarantee I can sheer that tube off of those screws and the upper, the threads on those screws are a bit too coarse in my opinion which is probably why I experienced then loosening.

That said I do prefer the Troy and Troy made VTAC TRX rails and that is what I'm currently using. I have yet to have one of these Troy or Troy/VTAC tubes come lose. YMMV.

Mk18 it's more effective to quote me vs. somebody quoting what they think I said. 1st hand is always better than 2nd hand. 2nd hand quotes just makes you look like an ass.....

BTW Mk18 here on M4C we pride ourselves on first hand knowledge/experience have you ever actually installed a JP/VTAC tube? Or have you just owned JP built uppers/rifles? There's quite a bit of difference here. For instance: I've driven a 'hardened' car over 70mph in a Gov't motorcade in D.C. but this doesn't mean I know how to assemble the engine on one.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    Can is a crapastic modal verb. Can means he has never seen it happen. I have two JP CTR-02 rifles with the JP/VTAC hand guards that have been through more multi-gun matches than I can remember. They have both been re-barreled two times and I have never had a single problem with the hand guards. There are seven Grade 8 flat socket head caps screws that mount the tube to the barrel nut. Properly installed, you couldn't shear off one of them on a bet. Apparently will also bite you in the ass if your not careful.
    I totally agree...

I ran into some rough financial times and had to sell one of my ARs with the JP/VTAC handguard and it was SOLID.

Aces in my opinion. I think you can't go wrong with either. Buy the cheaper of the two and go shoot......

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX672 View Post
    I totally agree...

I ran into some rough financial times and had to sell one of my ARs with the JP/VTAC handguard and it was SOLID.

Aces in my opinion. I think you can't go wrong with either. Buy the cheaper of the two and go shoot......
    I'm glad your statistical study group of one worked well for you! Some dirt shooters think their Oly Arms PCR rifles are the best!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast