Thread: AR 7.62 X 39 Magazines:

Feedback Score

Question AR 7.62 X 39 Magazines:

Getting very tired off trying to make my SKS's reliable afteer not using them for 15 years or so. Indoor range limits to lead core PMC ammo. Brass case necks bulge about 1 out of 20 or so when bullet rams into Barrel or perhaps receiver face. Maybe steel cases wouldn't do it but that's not an option at range. Looking at DPMS 7.62 X 39 with 20 inch Barrel. They use 10 Rd MWG mags. I have no experience whatsoever with MWG mags or 7.62 X 39 AR's. Any of you guys willing to help out 64 year old geezer who can no longer afford to Buy several brands till he gets one that's 100% reliable;excluding operator errors. Nor can I afford top tier Beau Coup bucks rifles anymore. Opinions/experiences PLEASE? Do I / should I give up and go 6.8SPC. Eyesight not good enuff to need 6.5 Grendel Range.
    Last edited by babarracing; 02-18-11 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by babarracing View Post
    Getting very tired off trying to make my SKS's reliable afteer not using them for 15 years or so. Indoor range limits to lead core PMC ammo. Brass case necks bulge about 1 out of 20 or so when bullet rams into Barrel or perhaps receiver face. Maybe steel cases wouldn't do it but that's not an option at range. Looking at DPMS 7.62 X 39 with 20 inch Barrel. They use 10 Rd MWG mags. I have no experience whatsoever with MWG mags or 7.62 X 39 AR's. Any of you guys willing to help out 64 year old geezer who can no longer afford to Buy several brands till he gets one that's 100% reliable;excluding operator errors. Nor can I afford top tier Beau Coup bucks rifles anymore. Opinions/experiences PLEASE? Do I / should I give up and go 6.8SPC. Eyesight not good enuff to need 6.5 Grendel Range.
    I'm not certain I'm following what your saying. Are you asking for opinions on caliber selection, magazine selection for an AR-10, information on ammo selection or all of the above? The one thing I can tell you for certain is that DPMS is a no-go, that is unless it's primary function is being a range-toy. If you can be a little more specific we can at least get you pointed in the right direction. For starters, I'd check out the 'Beyond 5.56/.223' forum below.

J
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Feedback Score

ar 15 Katrina Rifle:

No I'm pretty set on 6.8 SPC. Just asking for AR 15 Rifle Manufacturer that I can bet my life on .I.E. without needing to make numerous upgrades to make it reliable. Would like no feed ramp jams where bullet set back into neck. No stovepipes with resultant stoppages. One that will only suffer operator errors not shoddy design errors. Also some where not in the $1800+ price range.
    Thanks for your help. If a Rifle is not totally reliable it's nothing more then a poorly shaped club to me. I like 7.62 X39 but finding steel case or military crimped and sealed with copper jacketed lead core (for Indoor Range) is proving impossible for me. I don't recover more then 30% of my brass due to range booth Layout and ejection pattern of SKS. So reloading with such great case loss doesn't seem like such a great Idea either.

Feedback Score
    The big problem with 7.62 X 39 in the AR15 are the magazines. I stocked up on USA 20 and 30 round mags because they seemed to feed better than the Colt mags that came with the Colt rifle or the Triple K mags I bought. I don't think USA is still in business anymore so I cherish the AK style mags I have now.

I remember a thread not long ago where a company made a lower that would fit an AK mag. The lower had an angled magwell that looked much like the Galil magwell. You might do another search to see if you can find the thread if you are interested in using the 7.62 X 39.

Feedback Score
    Give Harrison at ARP a call and see what they can do for you. They may even be able to recommend some decent mags for the x39 upper
    here is the link to their site http://ar15performance.com/home
    Best of luck to you and get the 6.8 you will not be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    All my C Products 30-round 7.62x39 AR mags work just fine.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the help guys!

Appreciate help. Rifle is for targets that shoot back so help not spending Beau Coup Bucks on paper killer grade stuff is very, very much appreciated.