Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a WASR in first carbine class

Feedback Score

Question Using a WASR in first carbine class

I own a GP WASR-10/63 (Well built with matching serial numbers) and I'm looking into taking my first carbine class. Over the past few months I've learned and practiced tactical reloads, malfunction drills, and shoulder transitions (Using a VCAS sling) after reading and watching various people run AK's in carbine classes. I know I'm not the absolute master of the AK but my main concern is that my WASR will go down on me during a class and I do not own another carbine to use as a backup. I know basic/intro classes usually don't have you running your gun hard but I don't want to be that guy who shows up with a P.O.S. gun thinking it will run under actual use and ends up mooching off of someone else who was actually prepared.

In short, will my WASR work in a carbine class? I know it's an AK but I constantly hear about lower quality items going down in classes all the time and I don't want to attend one until I know my gear will (For the most part) run without issue so I can concentrate on my own skill and work rather than my gear.

Kevin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A well built WASR is an extremely reliable rifle.

Just take a few precautionary steps:

- Ensure all your magazines fit
    - Ensure the rifle is zero'd
    - Bring a couple spare parts (firing pin and/or spare bolt is probably most important).

Depending on who you take the class from they may or may not be teaching the techniques you've practiced, so have an open mind. Above all, keep your muzzle in check and be safe on the line. You'll be fine.
    The opinions posted above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Feedback Score
    All my magazines fit well and I've been drilling into my head muzzle awareness and good safety manipulation. I have confirmed zero and shot my AK at 25 and 100 yards with success (Then again, who doesn't shoot well off supported bench?).

Thanks for the tip to bring an extra bolt and firing pin. I will be picking up those two items and checking their head space before I go to a class.

Keeping an open mind is my main focus as there are different ways to run an AK (Or any other weapon system). I've been in "Sponge Mode" and will be for the rest of my life as I keep learning more and more from everyone.

Thanks again for the info, it really does help.

Kevin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oh, and bring gloves. AK's get hot quickly, and many WASR's have sharp edges all over them (something else you could spend some time inspecting, if you wish).

My standard WASR procedure is to zero the sights, fit the mags, and file down all sharp edges. Then shoot the piss out of it.
    The opinions posted above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    My standard WASR procedure is to zero the sights, fit the mags, and file down all sharp edges. Then shoot the piss out of it.
    +1

When I got my first AK (a WASR) I bought a boat load of mags and ammo for it.

I loaded up each mag with 30 rounds and headed to the range. I would "shoot the piss out of it" until I had a malf. If I had a malfunction I would put that mag to the side and mark it and kept shooting.

I then took all my "good" mags, reload them, and fired away. I had zero issues.

I reloaded all my "bad" mags (i think there were 3) and again experienced double feeds.

To date I have had zero issues with "good mags" that have been tested in this manner. I have more AKs now and some run some "bad" mags perfectly, so I just mark them accordingly.

This would probably be the biggest thing you want to make sure is taken care of before you go to a class with a WASR. Make sure you have at least 8-10 100% reliable magazines.

Feedback Score
    Another thing i'll add to whats already been said. Lube the thing. I've seen a few at some of the shooting matches i've been to that the guys say "its an ak" it doesn't require all the lube an AR does. When they start running them hard, they malfunction. If they would have lubed in them, they work.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I recently took my new WSAR out to range, slapped on the 75 rnd drum and unloaded it. I had to stop once to crank the spring up on a FTF but other than that it was sizzling lube when I got through. It's amazing the punishment AK's will take and keep on ticking. I realize that this isn't a premium AK but it works. Accuracy is not too bad but it's no AR.
    Davy Keith,
    FFL/SOT

Rebel Rifle Ordnance, LLC
    Ellisville, MS 39437
    (601)319-2675

Feedback Score
    Another WASR owner here.

I took a Vickers AK class back in February wondering the same thing. Will this rifle break down on me?
    I don`t have another AK, so, hopefully I won`t be S.O.L.

2 days before the class, I cleaned up and oiled the rifle really good. It ran through the class with no problems at all.
    Matter of fact, I took another AK class here 2 weeks ago and had 0 problems.

Looks like if you have a good WASR (and it sounds like you do) I wouldn`t worry.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Second the gloves. The handguards get hot very quick, and racking the bolt alongside a sharp dustcover can make you an unhappy camper if it happens to cut you.

Other than that, I don't see where a WASR that's proven reliable is at any real disadvantage compared to any similar iron-sighted 7.62 AK, or even an iron sighted AR in most instances.

You'll do fine with it, and I personally think its a great point to start with. Kudos for not diving into the deep end of the gear pool and coming out with lasers, bipods, and mag couplers before you even shoot it. Give us an AAR once you've run it through the class, I bet a lot of the AK-inclined guys would love to hear about it.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    I believe that this would be unwise.

In addition to the likelihood of your rifle failing, your instructor will likely fit some AR-based instruction (general operation, malfunction clearing, etc) into the course that will not apply to you since you wouldn't be running one.

I would beg, borrow, or steal a rifle for the duration of the course, and put a higher priority on obtaining one in the future, even at the expense of your WASR.

ETA: Also, if your instructor times your drills relative to the rest of the class (which is likely), you won't have a reasonable frame of reference for comparison, something you should want to have.

In the end it's your money, but I believe that you would be shorting yourself by having an different platform from the rest of the students.
    Last edited by BSWilson; 04-12-11 at 22:21.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast