Thread: Gun finishes - hot dip black oxide

Feedback Score

Gun finishes - hot dip black oxide

Is a hot dip Black oxide Finish any good? How does it compare to parkarizing or cerakote for a gun finish?
    Last edited by MrHandsome; 05-11-20 at 07:02.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What kind of parts?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
    Is a hot dip Black oxide Finish any good? How does it compare to parkarizing or cerakote for a gun finish?
    More akin to Parkerizing or phosphating in application but "better", Cerakote is a whole 'nother ball of ceramic-polymer. I wouldn't seek it out, but depends on the application: are you doing a fancy 1911 slide or a FSB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Think we need to get our terminology squared away. Do you mean blueing? For which "black oxide" is another name and hot dipping (in salts) is one of the ways to achieve it?

If so, parkerizing and Cerakote are significantly superior against abrasion and corrosion.

What firearm we discussing?

Feedback Score
    I saw a post for a refurbished 870 Police shotgun. I guess it was redone with a black oxide dip. Never heard of it before then. I know they come standard Parkarized. Seems inferior tho from the previous comments, maybe I’ll just keep an eye out for a parkarized one.

Feedback Score
    I saw a post for a refurbished 870 Police shotgun. I guess it was redone with a black oxide dip. Never heard of it before then. I know they come standard Parkarized. Seems inferior tho from the previous comments, maybe I’ll just keep an eye out for a parkarized one.
    Original 870 Police models were blued. If the one you're looking at is in good shape at the right price, blued wouldn't stop me from purchasing.

ETA: This belongs on the shotgun subforum.
    Last edited by Blankstrap; 05-11-20 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I saw a post for a refurbished 870 Police shotgun. I guess it was redone with a black oxide dip. Never heard of it before then. I know they come standard Parkerized. Seems inferior tho from the previous comments, maybe I’ll just keep an eye out for a parkerized one.
    Practically speaking it doesn't really matter. Nothing you mentioned except Cerakote is really all that corrosion or abrasion resistant.

If it's a good price buy it, I don't think that it detracts from or increases the value unless you're some sort of 870 snob/collector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstrap View Post
    Original 870 Police models were blued. If the one you're looking at is in good shape at the right price, blued wouldn't stop me from purchasing.

ETA: This belongs on the shotgun subforum.
    This. And if it is beat up get it parkerized. It's cheap.