Thread: Mora Knives Only

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Why did you buy one?
    I bought my first Mora knife after reading many positive reviews in the Wilderness & Survival Skills forum over at BladeForums.com. And since I am half Swede, I figured I should give them a try. My first Mora knives were a Frosts Tri-Flex Craftsman (Black handle; can't remember model #), a Frosts #760 Craftsman w/ stainless blade and orange handle, and a KJ Eriksson #911.

What do you like/dislike about them?
    Considering the value (price+form+function) of the pieces, there is nothing I dislike about them. I like them because they are very affordable, very useable, durable, and are available in a variety of different configurations.

How long has it lasted?
    I purchased my first Mora knives about 7 years ago. The only Mora knives that I have purchased that I no longer have are those that I have given away as gifts. They do make for great gifts. Depsite using Mora knives with a baton to split wood on occasion, I have not broken or damaged any.

What are the limitations?
    Well, considering how they are constructed, I would say that they aren't the best implements for prying tasks. I wouldn't imagine most of the different plastic sheaths would hold up to a lot of abuse if worn on a belt day in and day out; i.e. the thin plastic loops on the #760 Craftsman series, or the swivel loop connection on my #911 sheath.

Best way to sharpen?
    I don't know if it is the best way, but the way I sharpen mine is by laying the single bevel flat on a stone and drawing the knife across. This method takes the edge angle guesswork out of the sharpening equation. Super-easy, and it works well for me.

Is there a best brand/style?
    I don't think so. It is up to the user's personal preference. I have a number of different styles, but the Tri-Flex Craftsman and the #911 are probably my personal favorites.

Best carry method?
    I mostly carry mine in whatever pack or bag I am using; typically in a lid pocket or exterior/easy-access pocket. I also carry one in a pouch affixed to the back of my PFD.

How do you use them?
    Campcraft/noodling around when camping/backpacking, and around the house and yard for random chores.

...And any other good info.................
    When camping, backpacking, traveling, paddling, etc., the Mora knife I have on-hand is the centerpiece of a knife kit which usually includes a small sharpener, some sort of fire steel w/ a carbon steel hacksaw striker, and a smaller waterproof container of petroleum jelly cottonballs. I try to lanyard these smaller items together and/or to the knife sheath somehow to bolster loss prevention. I then attach these items to the knife sheath with a strip of bicycle innertube to make a tidy, low-profile package. I complete the kit with a break-away lanyard so that it can be worn as a neck knife setup. The package is somewhat heavy and bulky to be worn daily, but if need be, it is ready to go.

Examples of my little kits (middle kit is not a Mora knife):

I highly recommend Mora knives to anyone interested in edged tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrt
    I don't know about Frost now but years ago, they generally only had r-e-a-l-l-y cheap knives. I think he was kin to Jim Parker or something like that
    I believe you are thinking of Frost Cutlery. Frosts of Sweden was in no way related to Frost Cutlery. Frosts of Sweden (also referred to as Frosts of Mora or Frosts Knife) has since merged with KJ Eriksson to form Mora of Sweden.
    Last edited by hikeeba; 04-06-11 at 12:37.
    One doesn't need to be sick to get better.