Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mora Knives Only

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Anyone seen this yet:
    Mora Bushcraft Survival Knife

I'm not sure if the price is worth what you are actually getting in this package but I like the simplicity of all being integrated into the sheath.
    Anyone else think it's odd that they are too lazy to put a lanyard hole on a "survival" kinfe
    Or give a decent sheath....

The firesteel and sharpener incorporated in the sheath is I believe a very sound idea and I like that they gave the blade a more robust tip (all the Moras I've owned/seen have pretty fragile clip points). To me though, the attraction of Moras was always that it was a cheap, but useable knife that wouldn't break my heart if I trashed and that I could add to all my vehicle kits and use as stocking stuffers. For $70 I can get a better knife.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw this the other day and I may have to pick one up:
    Light My Fire Swedish FireKnife
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    What can you owners tell me about sharpening these knives?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    the Clipper appears to have been updated into, I believe, the Companion...

the changes I can see are, longer/thicker blade, new sheath, handle is smooth rather than stippled, and the tang is 75% longer.

does anyone have more information on this?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have heard rumors someone did an X-Ray of different Mora knives to show their tang styles and lengths.

Anyone have a link to the X-Ray?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have heard rumors someone did an X-Ray of different Mora knives to show their tang styles and lengths.

Anyone have a link to the X-Ray?
    no but knifetests.com tested the old style Clipper and got it to break at the handle/tang juncture. it seemed to have a tang that went less than halfway through the handle. the newer model is said to have a tang that extends 2/3 of the way through the handle.

for the price of the things maybe a little destructive testing would answer that question...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I got a Mora Robust (new model) from the EDCForum store. $20 delivered. It's sheath isn't perfect, but it has good retention, and the an added feature that you can stack more than one knife via the sheath attachment feature. I only have the one Robust though...
    http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?ap...robust%2310315

Sharp, comfortable in the hand, blade steel is thicker than a regular Mora, spine is unfinished, so if you want to use a firesteel you will need to file it flat.

I like it enough that I sold my O-RAT3.
    Last edited by Vic303; 12-30-12 at 19:38.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    the Clipper appears to have been updated into, I believe, the Companion...

the changes I can see are, longer/thicker blade, new sheath, handle is smooth rather than stippled, and the tang is 75% longer.

does anyone have more information on this?
    I just recieved my 2nd Mora, the Craftline Robust, wich is the new style, thicker blade and couldnt be happier. It should make an already great woods knife even better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This past November I used my $15 Mora Clipper (in Stainless Steel) to field dress two deer I shot. The knife performed amazingly like a fillet knife. I'm not sure if they still make the Clipper but I believe the Companion in Stainless would be a good substitute.

I used an Arkansas Novaculite Stone before and after each deer. These stones are the best stone-type sharpener I have ever used.
    This is the specific stone I carried with the knife.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This past November I used my $15 Mora Clipper (in Stainless Steel) to field dress two deer I shot. The knife performed amazingly like a fillet knife. I'm not sure if they still make the Clipper but I believe the Companion in Stainless would be a good substitute.

I used an Arkansas Novaculite Stone before and after each deer. These stones are the best stone-type sharpener I have ever used.
    This is the specific stone I carried with the knife.
    I just picked up a mora 601 after reading 98.6 degrees and will be taking it out this weekend for a test run. Not sure if I'll like the finger guard or not. If not it is an excuse to buy another one .

Excuse a dumb question here. My background with sharpening is mainly wood working (chisels, planes etc) and I've always used water stones or sandpaper+mdf and water to sharpen. Arkansas stones were always in the oil based world so I haven't used them much. Do you carry oil with to use the small pocket stone or does it work well enough with water or spit?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast