Thread: Who has made their own stock?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Who has made their own stock?

I am considering making an A4 McMillan style stock for my Rem 700 SPS Tactical. I saw a nice walnut A5 stock over on the hide (see pic below). I have a lot of wood working/furniture making experience and access to some machinery to help the process speed along.

I was wondering if anyone here has made a stock at home before?

I am thinking of building up a block with several .5" walnut or similar planks for added rigidity. I will obviously pillar and bed the stoc. Any other things you can think of to avoid as many rookie mistakes as possible would be great.

thanks-

Here is the amazing A5 walnut stock I was refering to...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want to carve your own stock from a laminated blank, contact Boyd's. There's more to making a laminated blank than just gluing together a few walnut strips to get the full advantage of a laminated stock.

The wood used in laminated stocks are vacuum dried, then impregnated under heat & pressure with a resin to fill the pores through and through to stabilize the wood and seal it against moisture. It makes the stocks heavier than untreated walnut, but it's stronger, more stable and easier to machine.

Of course, the treatment of the wood isn't necessary but it is the best way to make a laminated stock.

There is a certain art and science to making a good rifle stock. Do research on stock inletting and bedding. Here's one website you might want to check out http://benchrest.com/forum.php

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If you want to carve your own stock from a laminated blank, contact Boyd's. There's more to making a laminated blank than just gluing together a few walnut strips to get the full advantage of a laminated stock.

The wood used in laminated stocks are vacuum dried, then impregnated under heat & pressure with a resin to fill the pores through and through to stabilize the wood and seal it against moisture. It makes the stocks heavier than untreated walnut, but it's stronger, more stable and easier to machine.

Of course, the treatment of the wood isn't necessary but it is the best way to make a laminated stock.

There is a certain art and science to making a good rifle stock. Do research on stock inletting and bedding. Here's one website you might want to check out http://benchrest.com/forum.php
    Thanks for the link and info, I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    I'm modifying an existing stock.

A buddy gave me a POS Bell & Carlson off of his XTR. Only good part was the aluminum bedding block and that it was relieved for the barrel correctly.

From there, I've added a crap load of Bondo, carved that the way I want it and am in the middle of making the adjustable cheek piece now. It's definitely a fun project, but time consuming. I would do it again with better tools, but so far, a belt sander, dremel, sandpaper and a "cheese grader" has done a cool job.

Rich
    "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

For those that say USPSA/IPSC/3-Gun isn't tactical...speed is a tactic!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Make sure you seal your bondo very good. I'm a 15 yr now retired auto body repair tech and mud absorbs moisture. This could cause issues for you down the road. Just make sure it's sealed very well.

JMEL

Feedback Score
    Oh definitely. I have a buddy that sprays gel coat on boats and is taking care of me when I get the shaping done.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Rich
    "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

For those that say USPSA/IPSC/3-Gun isn't tactical...speed is a tactic!