Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics recommendation

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the helpful info. It may be as while as I have lots of reading to do but I will keep you posted

Feedback Score
    TXBob - Was in your shoes a couple of years ago. With a $1k budget, I'll tell you that you have a ton of options.

Give a hard look to the Vortex PST 4-16x or 6-24x as they offer a lot of features that the major scope manufacturers charge a lot of money for. For a FFP scope and mil/mil or MOA/MOA adjustments in a nice clean hash reticle (fewer obstructions that a mil-dot and can range better) you're in for less than $1k.

I have a friend that's a monster scope dealer, so if there's anything I can help with, just holler.

Rich
    "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

For those that say USPSA/IPSC/3-Gun isn't tactical...speed is a tactic!

Feedback Score
    Glock24's comments were right on regarding optics. x2 on what he said.

I recently installed a new optic on my new .308 Savage 10 FCP HS-Precision.

After doing a lot of reading, I came across a good deal on a Bushnell Elite 4200 and decided to give a try. Front focal plain, illuminated mil-dot reticle and .1 mil turrets. I opted for a 6-24x50mm. I'm using a 20 MOA base from EGW and Burris XTR rings. I spent a few extra $$ and picked up a scope ring alignment and lapping kit for the install.

There are lots to choose from.....the above it working nicely for me. Good luck on your project.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post
    Give a hard look to the Vortex PST 4-16x or 6-24x as they offer a lot of features that the major scope manufacturers charge a lot of money for. For a FFP scope and mil/mil or MOA/MOA adjustments in a nice clean hash reticle (fewer obstructions that a mil-dot and can range better) you're in for less than $1k.
    Ditto

TXBob, not sure where in Texas you are but if you are around Austin you can take a look at my Vortex Viper PST 4x16 FFP mil/mil when it finally comes in (soon I hope).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT View Post

One thing I've noticed over the last year is that I really like First Focal Plane Scopes, milled reticles (Leupold TMR, the new Nightforce MLR2) and .1 mil adjustments. I've learned this through shooting, looking through others scopes & a little bit of reading online.
    Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I'm looking at a similar situation. Planning on taking a long range rifle course this summer. Going to be using a Remington 700 (.308). I pretty much have it narrowed down to the Leupold Mark 4, 3.5-10x40mm M3. I'm looking at two options right now.

1. Mil Dot or TMR?

2. Illuminated reticle or Front Focal Plane?

From reading some of the other threads here, and on other forums. The TMR seems to be the more popular, for ease of use.

Some people recommend the FFP, because you can estimate range in any magnification. Some people swear by the FFP. Then others say it isn't necessary.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, the FFP doesn't do as well in low lighting, as the second, or rear focal plane. Also, I'm thinking I'd prefer the illuminated reticle, regular cross hairs are hard to see if the target is dark, or in the shadows.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Ranger View Post

1. Mil Dot or TMR?

2. Illuminated reticle or Front Focal Plane?

From reading some of the other threads here, and on other forums. The TMR seems to be the more popular, for ease of use.

Some people recommend the FFP, because you can estimate range in any magnification. Some people swear by the FFP. Then others say it isn't necessary.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, the FFP doesn't do as well in low lighting, as the second, or rear focal plane. Also, I'm thinking I'd prefer the illuminated reticle, regular cross hairs are hard to see if the target is dark, or in the shadows.
    Going Mil/Mil right out of the gate is the easiest. We're converting over to all Mil and it'd have been easier just to start there in the first place.

FFP if you're planning on milling targets and shooting an unknown distances. I just dial my scope to 10 power and never change it anyway. I'm used to a fixed 10X scope.

Illuminated reticle is largely useless in my experience. If you can't see the reticle.... you're having a hard time seeing the target. And when you turn on some light in the scope, you can see even LESS of the target.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    My budget for the optics for my first bolt gun started off as much less than $1000, but I ended up with a scope, rings and bases for right around $1000. As mentioned above, there are a LOT of options that are available to you with your budget.

Again, this is my first bolt gun, but I'll share what I went with:

Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 with Leupold MK4 medium rings and 20 MOA base. Total cost for that was about $950. I got the MRAD version after doing a bunch of research and a few posts on here and a couple other forums. I could have gone with rings and bases that were a little cheaper though.

I have found that I like the mil/mil and FFP of this scope. For now, I just have to remember things as multiples of 0.36". That is until I get more practice in the use of the reticle and turrets.

I've found that the glass on the Viper PST is quite clear. At least clear enough in the conditions that I will be shooting in. I won't be taking this rifle hunting or anywhere where it will be beaten up, so that wasn't too high on my list of considerations.

The scope also has an illuminated reticle, but I haven't really been able to use it. During the day, I can't see the illumination even with clear lenses. I've played around with it in the evening and at night around my condo, but I can't say that I really would NEED an illuminate reticle for my use.

As far as range conditions, my range is sounds similar to yours. Fixed paper target stands at 50 and 100 yards and metal targets anwhere from 240 out to around 450 yards. There's a target stand at 200 yards, but it's a pain to retrieve your targets as the ENTIRE range has to stop shooting for you to retrieve the stand. That includes about 40 stalls on the rifle range, 20 or so stalls in the pistol target range and about 20 or so stalls on the pistol silhouette range.

Anyways, the 4-16 power is plenty for the range of distances that I'll be shooting at my shooting range. I will eventually take this rifle to the local rifle matches where they shoot at 200, 400 and 600 yards. I just wish I had wide open spaces like some of the other posters here have access to.

Feedback Score
    I've tested or owned most scopes worth owning. Under 1k l would get in no particular order

First choices - Weaver tac 3-15ffp, Bushnell Elite ffp 3-12, Vortex pst ffp 4-16. A Slight edge given to the pst and weaver for better reticles, the bushy only has a standard milldot.

Second choices- Sightron SIII series 6-24 moa2 reticle (only available in sfp but does have matching turrets) Leupold vx3, Zeiss.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    schmidt and bender pmII

Feedback Score
    I posted on this thread some 11 months ago, shortly after purchasing my first .308 Win chambered rifle and Bushnell ffp 4200 Elite optic.

Last month, I completed and my first precision rifle class. Several months before the class, I switched the optic to a mil/mil Vortex Viper PST ffp 4-16 and have zero regrets in doing so. Aside from the great glass, I really enjoy the turrets. The ability to put a zero stop on the elevation turret is great. I watched others in the course counting clicks to find their zero when they lost track. Not me....just turn the elevation down to the zero stop and back up a few clicks to the zero mark.

Tracking was excellent as we ran box drills. The last shot was touching my starting shot in the bull when all was done. For ranging targets, the FFP reticle worked well. While this class found me a noobie at the ranging game, I checked my calcs using my Zeiss RF and was glad to see my numbers so close.

For the price, I believe the Viper PST is a quality optic and worth consideration if you are in the market.
    Last edited by arizona98tj; 01-14-12 at 10:05.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast